we're not dogs. we're wolves

Začít od začátku

"Right..." He looked downcast again. "I didn't hurt her feelings, did I?"

Harry sighed. "Ya probly nicked her heart of stone a bit."

He nodded.

"And Uma's our captain- or she will be, anyway. It's litrally our job ta make sure she's stable or at least operating right, and bringing up mommy issues is like holdin' her over an open flame."

He nodded again. "Okay. I'm sorry."

I gave an exasperated sigh. "Don't be sor-"

BOOM

I whipped my head to the wall. "Was that the door?"

Harry held my hand and we moved to the serving window, where we had a perfect view of the majority of the restaurant.

"It's dragon girl," he said in hushed tone.

Indeed, the leather-clad wonder squad was in the front. Uma was standing in front of them with her hands in her hips and pursed lips, without a hint of abandonment issues on her face. Good for her.

Mal tilted her head up. "Give us our stuff back."

Uma gave them her signature smirk. "What stuff?"

Harry gave me a little smile and ruffled his hair. I made a little flourish with my shoulder and let go of his hand, and we walked out of kitchen with Gil teetering behind.

"Play the part, play the part, play the part... " he whispered to himself.

I ran my hands over my corset and put my head up, tapping into that relaxed, confident, fear-invoking part of myself. Time to put on a show.

We opened the door just in time to see Evie step forward. "Look, we're not looking for any trouble. Just give us back our vegetables and we'll go."

"They're mine."

We held back near the door, partially behind the VK's, and watched Mal and Uma duke it out.

"No, they're not. They belong to me and my mother."

Uma used one hand to gesture to the shop. "My building, my food."

Mal crossed her arms. "It was ours first."

"And it's mine now." She stared her down.

Mal glared back, the faintest tint of green ringing her irises. Evie glowered at all of us. After a long, tension-filled pause, Mal cocked her head at Jay and Carlos. "Find it."

I hit Harry's shoulder with a careless hand and watched as he jumped forward out of the shadows, Gil not far behind.

"Ah-ah-ah!" Harry sang, stopping Jay. Gil grabbed dog boy's arm.

I walked forward slowly, savoring every second. "I'd be careful if I were you, Mal," I said slowly, brushing some dirt off her purple shoulder. She growled at me. I patted her hand, giving her a mock pouty face. Evie scoffed. I turned my head to her. "And you, Evie!"

I gave her a big psychotic smile and ran my fingers through her blue locks, wandering my eyes to and from her face. "I'd watch my back if I were you, too. Wouldn't want anything to happen to something so..." I widened my eyes and let my mouth hang open slightly, my eyelashes nearly brushing hers... "pretty." I smirked when I saw her face heat up. The straight-haired, straight-A's daughter of the evil queen- not as perfectly straight as her mother thought. Not that I was any saint in that department.

She blinked her eyes away from mine to Uma's, her blush not fading. "Call off your dogs."

Uma said nothing. I glanced at Gil, who was holding Carlos's arm so tight it had turned white, and then Harry.

His eyes were already on me. I could see the facade of a dangerous, threatening boy, ready to do his master's bloodletting. But beneath that, swirling somewhere under the base violence and wild mannerisms, was a vicious crazy I knew we had not seen the face of yet.

I know that I look the same.

I broke the eye contact and switched back to the blue-haired lady in front of me. "Oh, Evie..." I sighed as I backed away from her. I jerked my head and the boys let go of Jay and Carlos and followed me. "We're not dogs." I reached into my back pocket. Uma gave me a small smile as we passed her. I winked at her.

"We're wolves." I held up Evie's phone.

"What?" Gil showed Carlos's wallet, Harry held up Jay's wallet and phone.

"Give that back!" Evie and Carlos yelled in unison. Jay cursed under his breath and looked straight at Harry. The three of them took off after us.

I spun back around and ran out of the shop. Harry and Gil laughed at my sides as we sprinted from the VKs for the second time that day.

Leaving Mal and Uma to face off alone.