28: Bear Dogs and FaceTime Calls

Start from the beginning

It was just over fifteen minutes of their wandering in the park that they ran into a dog-- no, it was more like it ran up to them.

"Is that a puppy?" Lily asked, probably from hearing the dog's barking, and then its panting, as it got closer.

"You could say that..." Colin's eyes didn't have to travel far down as he assessed the animal. That dog was anything but a puppy. It was a freaking wolf incarnate. With greys and browns sprinkled into the black hairs of fur on its massive-- extremely massive-- body, Colin knew he'd do nothing but head the other way if he had met this dog anywhere else. It seemed tame, friendly even, with how it looked at Lily with interest in its blackhole eyes and happily wagging tail. Even its barks sounded excited, if you ignored the intimidation those booms carried.

"Can I pet it?" Lily asked, bouncing on the heels of her boots.

Colin scratched the back of his head, looking at the expectant dog whose tongue hang out as it panted, as if it understood what was happening and solidly sided with Lily. "Uhh, we have to ask the owner first."

"Okay," Lily said. "Let's go find them."

The dog walked next to them as they trod forwards, Colin looking out for anyone who looked like they were missing this giant of a pet. They were halfway through the park when they heard someone yelling.

It was a lady, jogging in their direction with a leash in her hand. "Hey! Hey, wait."

The dogs hairy ears perked up and it looked in the direction of the lady, and recognising her, began to jump, barking-- howling, whatever the fuck dogs like that did.

"Is this your dog?" Colin asked, pointing to the dog who didn't even need to be pointed at.

"Not technically. Rocco belongs to my cousin." She clipped on the leash and wiped sweat off her brow. "He ran off and I had to chase him down. Thank you for finding him."

"It was the other way around. He found us instead."

"Can I pet Rocco?" Lily piped up, pouting her lips and pushing them out as far as they could go.

The woman looked from Lily to Colin as if to ask if he was okay with the girl touching the huge bear-wolf dog, whatever it was. Colin mouthed "Does he bite?" and received a head shake from the woman.

He then nodded to their new companion, having no reason to deny the enlivened girl of the opportunity and leave her disappointed. The lady's lips broke into a warm smile as she patted Rocco's head and loosened her grip on his leash, saying to Lily, "I don't see why not."

The girl reached out to the dog who fit it's head under her waiting palm. Tail wagging rapidly, Rocco nuzzled Lily's palm and she dropped to a crouch. Her hands roamed the dogs body, ruffling long tufts of hair and she hugged the clearly elated dog. "He's so fluffy I'm gonna die," Lily mumbled.

"Did she just quote--"

"Despicable me," Colin provided. "Apparently yes."

The lady giggled, before offering a gloved hand. "I'm Elaine."

"Colin," he said, shaking her hand.

"You have a lovely child," Elaine commented as her eyes sought out Lily who was hanging onto Rocco's collar as he ran. They both fell shortly, Lily bursting into uncontrollable laughter as the furry creature tried to roll her over once it got on its feet.

"That she is." Colin nodded, hands settling into the cozy pocket of his jacket. "But she's not mine. She's my person's niece."

"Touché," Elaine said, eyebrows lifting as a smile lit up her face. "Though it doesn't change that you'd make a great dad."