Prologue Part 8

The long night shrouds the town of Nemmingway

The long night shrouds the town of Nemmingway. Hidden figures of people walk the dark alleys and streets. Quiet howls ring in the night along with the whistle of the wind. 

Rue- "Down here. This alley leads to the tunnels, this'll lead out to the west end of town. Tache 'n Illium are waitin there."

Hemmund and Rue move forward into the underground alleyway. The dim and narrow street shadows the two. The alley twists and turns left and right.

Hemmund- "It seems we've gone unnoticed. How far do we have left?"

Rue- "Not far, just a lil farther... stop."

Rue waves her hand back at Hemmund and hides behind a wall. Hemmund also does the same. The sound of talking is heard ahead of them. Rue takes a glance at them.

Rue- "Phew. They're just normal townspeople. Quickly. The two silently pass by the townspeople and go into another alley.

"Huh, did you see that?" A man says.

"See what?"

"Oh, nevermind, probably nothing."

Two hooded figures pass by the two townspeople and into the same alley. 

Rue- "Here. This is the exit. Tache, Illium, ya there?

Tache and Illium come around the wall.

Tache- Yes, we've been waiting.

Illium- "I'm glad you're both alright.

The four group up for a moment. Then the sound of unfamiliar footsteps come from behind Rue and Hemmond.

Illium- "Behind you!" Illium drags the two away from the alley and barely dodge a knife being thrown at them.

"Tch." Two hooded figures creep out of the dark alley.

Braila- "So this is where you were heading. Haha, end of the road for you."

Braila unsheaths her sword and the other hooded figure brings out a dagger. Illium, Rue, and Tache bring out their weapons.

Braila- "Notify the others, the west wall of the town."

"Yes ma'am. All forces, the target is located at the western wall. Agh!" He is struck down by Tache.

Tache- "Rue, take Hemmond and run. Now!"

Illium- "We'll handle this one, the rest of the group is further ahead so go."

Rue- "Don't die ight. Let's go Hemmund."

Hemmund- "Yes."

Braila- "No you're not!" Braila tries to strike Rue but is blocked by Illium. "Oh, it's your turn now? You pesk." Riled up, the three fight it out.

The sound of clanging slowly fades as the two run farther from the wall of the town. The baby whimpers in confusion. 

Hemmund- "It's alright, you have nothing to worry about." He caresses the child's back as they continue to run.

Rue- "We're almost there, just a lil more."

The two finally arrive at an old building on the outskirts of the town. 

Rue- "Anyone here?"

"Rue! You're here, are you okay?" A woman comes and greets them.

Rue- "We're not so good, we were followed. Prepare for a fight!"

"Yes!" The people in the old house prepare their equipment for the fight to come.

Rue- "Hemmund, me and my men will hold em off, I'll have two of my men accompany you to where you're headin."

Hemmund- "Thank you. I don't know how I'll compensate you for this. I am truly grateful and sorry for getting you involved."

Rue- "Don't worry, we know our way around a fight. Now, go. You two, go escort him to wherever he needs to go, and don't let him or the kid die, ight?"

"Yes ma'am." A man and woman said. The three leave towards the west.

"Ma'am, Illium and Tache have arrived."

Rue- "I knew you two could handle em."

Tache- "She was difficult, but she was alone."

Rue- "We better prepare for their reinforcements. Men! Steel yourselves for a fight!"

"Rah!" The men and women rally themselves.

~~~~~

Moments before.

"All forces, the target is located at the western wall." The message reaches all 14 of the members.

Salem- "Everyone, head to the location."

"Yes sir."

Kline- "They're at the west wall? Hurry, let's go."

Dylan and the rest nod and hurry off towards the west of town.

Braila- "Hah!" A fiery of slashes and jabs fly at Tache and Illium. 

Illium- In his head "She seems to be struggling." Illium focuses his mana on his hands. Then attacks Braila's side while Tache keeps her occupied.

Braila- "Shit!" Barely dodging both of them, however, she feels a sharp pain on her side. "Ack." She coughs up blood and slumps to the ground.

Tache- "Finally, she's down. Your technique is no joke, Illium.

Illium- "Nothing much, I just disrupted her mana. No physical damage but heavy internal damage."

Tache- "Guess I'm lucky that you don't hit me that hard when we're training."

Illium- " Wanna spar?"

Tache grows weary. "Haha, stop joking. We gotta leave for now."

The two retreat to where Rue is. 

As the night continues, the direness of the night grows little by little.