Chapter 2

Only a couple of steps in Veronica wanted to turn back around and go home, but of course she didn't really have much of a home anymore. The home she once knew and loved didn't welcome her anymore. She tensed up as she felt the rich kids stare at her. Her style obviously didn't fit in, everyone could tell despite the fact that she was stuffed into the same uniform as everyone else.

    Veronica once took pride in her perfect slender body when she was in gymnastics, she took pride in the fact that she had the best routine on the balance beam; her body easily bending and flipping to the beat. Now, she covered it up, hiding the curves and contours that she once loved. At this point she had given up and her appearance reflected that. Her glasses were slightly bent, with bangs hanging in her face, her hair was frizzy and unstyled. She had once walked with confidence and a smile that attracted everyone in the room, but her best feature was by far her eyes. They shone and sparkled with life, now they were dull and lifeless after the death of the only family member that ever loved her. Veronica just wanted to be left alone, she didn't want friends or to hang out like normal teenagers. She either wanted to play video games or read comics, anything that would take her to other worlds than her own. She wanted to get lost in the video game world where she could dream about being her favorite character, and be happy. She dreamed of happiness.

    Veronica made her way to the administration building to get the keys to her dorm. She was dreading this, the thought of getting a roommate was dreadful to her, all she wanted was to be alone. Perhaps a little time alone she would be able to find herself again; but of course that isn't going to happen. She stepped up to one of the ladies typing away at the computer in front of her. "Hi, uh I'm here to get my keys for..." She looked down at her phone with a document open that stated the room number. "Room 404." She finished.

    Without even looking up the lady in front of the computer replied, "Veronica Gray?"

    "Yes." Veronica replied timidly, swiping the hair out of her face.

    Veronica was expecting an old fashioned key, but instead she got a key card. "You tap this on all the doors that you are allowed access to to get in. Here's your schedule and anything else you may need in this folder." She handed a folder over to Veronica after searching through a filing cabinet near her desk. "If you need anything else you can talk to Student Services, their information is in the folder."

The woman went back to typing on the computer, so Veronica found some seats nearby and flipped through the contents of the folder to find which of the fantastic dorms she passed earlier that she'll call her home until she graduates. "Violet Dorm?" She questioned out loud scanning the map for it. After quite a search she finally found it tucked in the corner of the map, a small little building on the far edge of campus. "You've got to be kidding me." But of course her Mom and Stepfather would only pay for the outcast dorm, probably a lot cheaper. "How could this get any worse?" She sighed, packing up her luggage once again and started her trudge back to her dorm.