He decided against going in the family car, against stopping to do anything in general. His speed-walking turned into a slight jog, then to a faster jog, until he finally gripped the things in his hand as hard as he could and took off, running to Y/n's home as fast as he could.

To be honest, he was excited to see her after they'd been apart for so long, but there were other things. Like his curiosity to why she'd been hiding in her home for so long, his desire to kiss her roughly and make sure she was okay, so many things were racing around his head. The point was, he just needed to know she was alright.

When he approached her door, slowing to a stop, he reached for the knob, twisting it to find that it was locked. He knocked a couple times, earning no response. Knocked again. Still nothing.

"Y/n? Love? Are you alright? It's me, T-"

The door swung open to reveal a puffy eyed Y/n, the tip of her nose a shade of reddish-pink to show she'd been blowing it a lot, dried tear stains on her cheeks, her home was dark, though it was the night.

Tommy let his eyes study his beloved as much as he could in the small amount of light a bonfire, taking place across the street, provided. Her hair was messy, her clothes looked like they'd been the only thing she'd worn during the time she'd been in her home, she looked smaller than before, and she had circles under her eyes.

"Love..."

"Tommy." Her relived smile began to deteriorate, Y/n falling into Tommy's arms as tears escaped once more. He caught her the best he could, gin and snacks still in his grip, and walked inside with her, closing the door behind him after setting down the items on the small table by the door.

"What's wrong, my love?" He asked her as they sat down, Y/n resting her head on his shoulder.

"They... they're gone..." Tommy furrowed his eyebrows, confused. "Tommy," she turned to him, watery eyes and a shivering bottom lip, "they died..." Y/n pointed to a newspaper from her hometown, the headline's big bold black letters guiding Tommy to the realization.

"Shit..." Her little brother died due to a fever spreading throughout the smaller place, only two years old, so pure and innocent, he felt her pain almost immediately. The boy played with Tommy and Finn, enjoying Finn's company more, but still having a special place in the Shelby's heart.

Y/n cried harder, moving and shoving her face into Tommy's chest, wrapping her arms around him. His arms came around to hold her close to him. The paper explained not only her physical and emotional state, but the state of her home, things remained unused, unmoved, as if she'd been in one spot for the entire month, doing nothing but mourning her sibling.

"Come, love, let's get you out of these clothes." She didn't say anything or move, so Tommy helped her up, picking her up like one would his bride, and carried her to her room and set her in the small tub sitting across her bed.

She just sat there, unmoving, expression still empty, heartbroken, grieving. He knew she had to be cleaned one way or another, luckily, he'd help her clean up before, so he knew all of her cleansing preferences. Some might say it wouldn't matter with her catatonic-like-state, but it did matter. He wanted her to feel better, and he knew just the ways to do so.

He grabbed a cloth, dipping it into the warm water, and scrubbed the soap onto her body, then washed it off using his hands and the small jar she had for that very reason. Once she was properly cleaned off, he moved behind her, bringing his hands to her hair.

Y/n shivered, lip trembling again, the salty droplets slowly sliding down her face again. She wasn't entirely bawling or crying like she'd been earlier, she was calming and had taken the time of her silence to process everything, slowly coming to another stage of the grieving process.

Acceptance.

And Tommy was the one to thanks, as she moved past the depression stage, finally. He helped her from the tub, helped her dry off, then walked to her wardrobe. He picked a soft nightgown and slipped it over head. It was the gown she said made her feel like she was sleeping on clouds, the gown he bought her the first night she slept in his home.

Finally, he brewed some tea and poured a cup for Y/n and himself. Taking the two glasses into her room, he brought the gin and snacks as well. "Here, darling, you'll need to eat, as well as drink something. And here's some stuff that'll help with the... pain."

She nodded, reaching for the gin and taking a swig. "Thank you, Tommy. I don't know what I'd do without you..." Tommy moved the tea towards her, wordlessly telling her not to just drink the gin, and that she'd feel better with the tea as well.

"There's no need to thank me, Y/n/n. I'm here for you and with you through this." He shifted on her bed, taking her face into his hands and pressing soft kisses to her hairline, then forehead, then her lips. "I'll be there for you, whenever you need me, I'll be there."

"L-likewise, my love... And um.. Tommy?" He nodded. "Do you promise?"

"I promise. Whenever you need me, just- just call my name, and I'll be there."