'He dreamed of laughter'

After a long day of writing new lyrics, my hands are raw from the piano and my guitar and I am ready to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. But suddenly, my energy levels rocket as I get into bed and I can't lie still. As I lie on my side I hear Alex humming softly to himself, as he starts tracing shapes on my back absentmindedly. I roll over quickly making him jump, he throws his hands into the air manically and lets out a small squeal. 'I thought you were asleep?' he whispers in a high pitched voice. 'Well, it's a good job I wasn't, your weirdly good mood would have woken me up' I accuse, 'you reek of happiness' I smile suggestively. He grins shyly and giggles, covering his face with the blanket pulling it over both of us (AN~ I'm sorry to interrupt but this is adorable ~ kay xo). 'I met someone' he giggles, leaving me in suspense. I tug on his hoodie strings lightly 'no way captain obvious!' I smirk at how much he is blushing, 'just make sure you remember me when you go off with your new ghost friend' I smile jokingly. His face falls seriously, 'I would never leave you' he looks deeply into my eyes, 'I know, it was a joke silly' I put my hand on his cheek and chuckle. 'You can't make those jokes Kay baby, not after-' he tails off as I remove my hand and interrupt him. 'Tell me about your ghost friend you fool'. He begins to tell me all about his new 'friend', a skater boy (very much Alex's type) called Willie, Alex goes to length describing his long hair, tanned skin, and dark eyes. 'He's going to help me with all the ghost stuff, and he'd love to meet you' he says excitedly, his voice low so as not to wake the other boys. 'Hmmm, yeah I gotta make sure he's good enough for my baby' I move a strand of his hair out of his face. 'What? No.. we're just friends.. He's really cute and funny and sweet- but we're friends'. I nod sarcastically 'uh huh, sure' I roll back over and Alex sighs in frustration. 'Kay! Kayla Sophia Johnson!' I roll back over and grimace at him. 'Dude, did you have to hit me with the full name?' I scowl slightly. 'You can't leave me hanging like that' he complains, his voice whiny. I laugh 'Alex. Baby boy. I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but you've got a crush' I whisper, emphasizing the word crush with relish. He looks down and doesn't even deny it. 'You're my best friend Ally, I'm happy for you stupid' he looks back up at me and smiles sweetly. 'But if he hurts you, I will make sure he skates into traffic again and this time he won't be coming back' I smile just as sweetly as Alex - more sickly sweet. He gulps and runs a hand through his hair, 'Yeah, I'll let him know..' I pull the blanket down, now far too warm and nestle into the pillow, feeling like I could probably sleep now. 'Kay?' he calls softly. 'Yeah Alex?' I open my eyes to find him looking at me with a smile. 'I love you' he whispers. I open my mouth to speak before we're interrupted by a disgruntled and very deep voice. 'Yeah and I love you to but SOME OF US are trying to sleep'. Luke throws a cushion at us across the room before Reggie appears at the side of our bed and asks 'what you talking about?'. I shake my head and laugh, 'Nothing Reg, go back to sleep.' he pouts and climbs in next to Alex. I protest quickly as he pulls the comforter over himself and off me 'In your own be- you know what never mind'. I'm pushed towards the edge of the mattress and I climb out quickly before I end up on the floor. I look down at Reggie already asleep curled into Alex, and Alex now also snoring gently. Boys. I sigh, picking up the cushion Luke threw at us and walking to the couch, grabbing a blanket on my way. 'What are you doing?' Luke whispers, his voice is raspy and for some reason I wonder what it would sound like if he sang right now. 'Sleeping on the couch, go back to sleep Lukey' I set the cushion down and sit running my hands through my hair. 'I'll take the couch' he calls, starting to move quietly. 'No Luke, you're already comfortable' I whisper back lying down on my side and looking at him across the near-dark room. He stares at me a little longer, his expression unreadable. I shift slightly, the couch is great to sit and write songs on - but sleeping on it is not ideal. 'Kayla just take the bed' his voice is louder now, more commanding. 'Shhh, you'll wake them. I'm fine' I shut my eyes trying to prove my point.  He looks at me again, until I hear him sigh as he turns over and I start to drift off to sleep.

As I wake up, I realise I'm no longer on the couch but in a bed on my own. Shaking my head in exasperation I look around to see Luke sleeping on the couch, his face peaceful as he shivers slightly, the blanket over him barely covering his arms. The air has turned cold now and he's barely even blanketed. I don't remember him moving me, I must've been asleep. I look across the room to the clock and read the time, 4am. I stand up quietly and pick up the comforter I'd been lying under. I pad softly across the room to where Luke is led. 'Stubborn boy' I mutter with a smile. I gently remove the blanket from on top of him and he shivers again, his t-shirt and cargo pants not keeping him warm. Being at least 2 inches smaller than Luke (and with a lot less muscle weight) I'd fit perfectly under the blanket. I throw it over my shoulder and unravel the comforter, placing it gently over his body tucking the side into the couch and pulling it over his arms. I walk back over to the bed, and lie down, the blanket is not as warm as the comforter but it'll do. I lie down and curl up under the blanket inhaling Luke's scent. The blanket is still slightly warm from his body heat and I feel warm instantly knowing that he'll sleep better now.

3rd Person POV-

Kayla walked back over to the bed and led down, wrapping the blanket around her and smiling fondly at the boys. What she didn't realise was that the boy on the couch was awake, woken gently by the new comforter that she had positioned with such care. He smiled softly as she turned over and faced away from him, curling up and sighing gently. He didn't remember when he closed his eyes, when he did he dreamed of laughter, clear and crisp, full of such joy and light that it made everyone else laugh too. Lily of the valley, soft and sweet, forever lingering on his clothes. Cascades of curls shining in the sunlight, like liquid caramel. And eyes that changed colour like a kaleidoscope, a crystal blue, bright and gentle, enchanting green like an emerald or new growth in spring. And his favourite, a cool gray. Not dull like concrete or stone, but like the ocean before dawn when they had surfed together, magnetic and wise. Beautiful.