Chapter Twenty Five - Bagel & Scone

Start from the beginning

"Yes, as is always the case, every big player has their agenda when they pretend they want to help you." Mark concluded as they got up together and gathered their winter coats and bags. "So what is happening on your FX desk?"

Arnav left a couple of notes on the table for the cute waitress who had been fluttering around their table for a while and smiled, looking at her. "After the very expensive lesson Nick Leeson taught us, bankers, you think any desk would have an uncovered position these days? But as you can imagine there isn't a lot of volume anymore as speculators are scared, or scarred should I say."

Mark chuckled. "It's the same on the Equities side, mate. It's difficult to find investors for the Asian Stock Markets." He said grimly as he opened the door of the pub and was heralded by a blast of cold wind.

"Forget the Stock Markets," Arnav said, a slow smile building on his lips as he slipped on his overcoat over his grey herringbone Brioni suit. "You mentioned there was enough volatility in your love life. How's it going?"

Mark smiled as he wrapped a plaid scarf around his neck. "Me and Sarah, we tear each other apart at times...don't know how long this will last although I want it to."

Arnav stared at him as a familiar feeling tugged at his heartstrings. "Don't get emotional with your stocks. Its the fundamental rule, Marky. Cut the position." His heart winced when he said it aloud, but his mind ignored it completely out of a cultivated habit.

Mark stared at the gorgeous, handsome young man in front of him who had shot up the ladder to become a Trader from a Junior Trader position in a short period of three years. Although Arnav was known for his shrewdness, he was extremely popular with the opposite gender. "Not every man has women falling all over him, my friend," Mark said with a lopsided grin. "And Sarah is different. I feel like I want to be with her. It's just that at times, staying together seems rather difficult."

Arnav chuckled and sighed as he placed his hand over his shoulder, amusement dancing in his eyes. "I don't know what to say, Marky! I am least qualified to speak about relationships, but I do feel for you, my friend."

"Son of a gun! I hate that smugness in you!" Mark chuckled. "Go get hitched to make me feel better. Doesn't your mother whip your arse every phone call to get you into one of those famous Indian arranged marriages?"

"It's too early, Marky. She knows she will have to wait."

"In love, there is no choice but to be with that person, Arnav." Mark suppressed a heavy sigh. "But of course, you won't have a clue about what I am saying!"

Bitterness hardened Arnav's lean, rugged face, and his brilliant eyes darkened in a flash. "Lack of choice is a situation I am not comfortable with, Mark. And I am—" He stopped abruptly as his mobile phone chimed in his pocket. He pulled it out and saw the caller's name on display. "Sorry Marky, I'll have to take this call. It's Naaz." He apologised as he clicked the answer button on the phone.

"Say hello to her. I'll head back home then. Have a good evening, mate" Mark half-hugged him and disappeared into the evening crowd outside the pub.

"Give my love to Sarah!" Arnav hollered after him as he placed the phone against his ear and started walking through the rough cobbled street towards the Underground station.

"Hey, beautiful!" He said with a smile on his face. "How are you feeling today?"

"Thank you!" Naaz chuckled. "The 'beautiful' has cheered me up. I was having a hellish day at work. Knackered." She said in her deep, smooth voice.

"Anything I should know about? How are the markets doing?"

"Not everything is about the markets, Arnav!" Naaz stretched lazily and leaned back into her chair at her desk. She was playing absently with the pencil in her hand as she stared at the monitors in front of her. "Had a meeting with the boss, and as per the routine, he chewed my head off." She said tiredly. "As they say, this place is a whorehouse. The better you perform, the more you get screwed!"