Chapter 2: Skies

Oikawa's expression after her reply was no doubt confusing on Umeko's end - though admittedly it was quite amusing to see him like this: pupils blown huge, eyebrows knitted together and the corners of his lips formed such a childish pout. He crossed his arms in an indignant fashion.

"So mean, Ume-chan! I would think you'd remember me... It's me! Oikawa Tooru! We used to play with Iwa-chan together!"

Umeko pursed her lips slightly as she tried recalling his name - genuinely troubled and confused. Oikawa now actually had the chance to notice how much she's actually grown. Her build was surprisingly tall - perhaps average height for a normal guy, but above average for a girl, the crown of her head at same elevation as his chin. Usually, girls would reach just at his chest - or even shorter. She's quite lean too, like a narrow streamlined shape, not much curves in anywhere throughout her body. Perhaps she could be cut out for a model, if she tries hard enough, or if you put a dash of makeup on her.

Other than that nothing else stood out of her. She wasn't remarkably cute nor attractive, just average physical attributes for an average japanese girl - her shoulder length dark brown hair, and dark brown eyes were what made her easily blend in to her surroundings. Her demeanor at a glance was not eccentric nor outstanding either.

Oikawa finds the first piece to the puzzle: The girl seemed unbelievably bland.

In the least, she could've at least look cute like that girl he met during that maid cosplay cafe... What was it again...? Ayame Yamamoto, right? Oikawa thought she was cute, but wait a second... Why is she on his mind again?

Oikawa's thoughts got interrupted by the sound of Umeko's fingers snapping to get his attention. "Oikawa, huh? I remember you as a crybaby."

"Of course now I've grown into a fine young man!" He poses with his arms akinbo, chest puffed theatrically.

"Sure," she drawled sarcastically.

"So mean, Ume-chan! You didn't change at all yourself! You should be more considerate and kind and-!" The rest of his ramblings were muffled, her face scrunched up in annoyance as she plugged her ears. Wanna act like a child? Well, two can play it that game...

"Blah! Blah! Blah! I'm not listening to you, Oikawa-san!" She repeated the same phrase over and over as turned around and entered back into her house, leaving her door open. Midway however, she heard his ramblings die little by little. Confused, she halted to look back at him with a raised eyebrow and gestured inside. "Well? Are you coming in or not?"

Oikawa's pouty face immediately lit up and threw his hands in the air - his complete shift in his demeanor startled her. He entered her house with a grateful smile. "Yay! Thank you so much!"

"Whatever." She closed the door behind her. Oddly enough, at the sound of her closing the door, a low rumbling noise followed. She raised her eyebrows slightly in confusion and peeked out the blinds of the windows. The clouds above them looked dark and thickly dense - a brewing storm. "Huh. I didn't know it would rain today."

"It's not just rain, y'know. You could get sick... or get struck by lightning!" Oikawa took off his shoes and propped his backpack at the corner of the living room. In all honesty, if it weren't for the storm, he could've just taken a walk to the convenience store and just loiter there until the clock hits nine. But that's a ten minute walk, and the skies looked on the edge of pouring out. She noticed small drops beginning to sprinkle her window.

"Ah... It rarely rains here in Miyagi. Rain is really nice..." She mused to herself, eyes still fixed to the water collecting and dripping on her window pane. "Even skies cry too."

She closes her eyes as if to enhance her hearing of the tip tapping of drops hitting the glass - and Oikawa notices just how long her eyelashes are, and they fluttered open shortly after. She glances at the wall clock, its short hand at six, and walks by the shoe rack. She grabbed an umbrella and headed out the door. But just before her hand touched the knob, a voice stopped her.

"Wait, where do you think you're going?! You can't go out in this weather!"

"Who're you again? Oh right." She pulled this deadpanned expression. "A visitor. Behave yourself while I go get the mail. Jeez, it won't even take that long."

He pouted once more. "Can't it wait? It's pouring outside and you might get sick."

"Stop being such a baby." Her hand reached out for the knob now. "And no, it can't. I have a new manga coming in and it would be nice to read it while it rains... I also have other things to expect, but that's none of your business. Now behave yourself while I'm gone."

She turns the doorknob and opens the door, and Oikawa's voice was uncharacteristically meek and soft.

"Ume-chan?"

"What now?"

"Thanks for letting me stay."

"Whatever, Oikawa-san. It's nice to see you again, I guess."

And with that, the door closed behind him.