Introduction

(3rd P.O.V)

    Avery lies on her bed deep in thought, she closes her eyes sighing. She frowns her eyebrows furrowing in irritation. Suddenly there's a loud bang and the sound of talking coming from the kitchen. Avery sat up straight her eyes wide in surprise. She jumps out of bed running out of her room downstairs and into the kitchen. What happens next will flip her world upside down and change her perspective on her life. There was a tall dark haired man pinning Anna, her mom against the counter. "What-what are you doing here Derrick? "Her mom says her voice strangled fear clear in her voice.

  Avery freezes realizing why her mother was scared. The man, Derrick had a gun pressed against Anna's lower chest. "I'm tired of you hiding from me Anna. I'm tired of you hiding the truth from your family. "He says irritation and anger in his voice. "Wh-what are you talking about? The truth about what? "Anna asks a mix of fear, confusion, and something else Avery had never heard in her mothers voice before. "The truth about the kid. The truth I should've told Andrew the day you ran off with him.! "He yells anger and irritation in his voice. "They didn't need to know about that. "Anna says quietly. 

  "Don't need to know? Don't need to know that the daughter he loved, raised, and cherished isn't his!? Derrick yells and Avery's eyes widen in disbelief and surprise. She backs away a lump raising in her throat. She turns around and runs into the living room and out the front door tears in her eyes. Her entire life was a life, the father she had loved, cared for, he wasn't even my father. She ran down the driveway and down the street she needed to think, she needed to get away from everything, everyone. She froze when she heard a loud bang echoing down the street, it sounded like, like a gunshot.

  Avery bit her lower lip and turned around making her way slowly, hesitantly back to her house. She slowly opens the door and closing it after herself. "M-mom? "She says her voice breaking but there was no answer. She had a bad feeling but continued towards the kitchen, she froze her breathe caught in her throat. He was lying there motionless, the father she never knew, the father she had lost the chance to meet. A broken, ear piercing scream escaped her mouth and she falls to her knees. She crawls to her father tears streaming down her face she gently holds his hand with both of hers.

  "D-dad? "She croaks the word felt foreign in her mouth, he moved slightly opening his eyes. He looks up at her a small smile on his face and tears in his eyes. "D-dad? " Avery repeats quietly and Derrick puts his hand on her cheek. "You've grown so much. "He says weakly and Avery smiles her eyes glistening with tears. "Why-why didn't you try to find me? "Avery asks looking into Derrick's hazel eyes. "I-I.. "He starts to say but his eyes drift closed and his hand falls in his lap. "No. "She breathes quickly standing up and running into her room grabbing her phone from her dresser.

  She turns it on and dials 911, it rings three times then someone answers. "911 what's your emergency, Patty speaking. "The 911 operator answers and I clear my throat. "My dad he-he got shot. "Avery say her voice breaking as she walk back into the kitchen sitting next to Derrick. "Okay ma'am, I'm going to need you to calm down for me, okay? "She says. "Okay. "I say taking a deep breath. "Okay, I'm going to need you to check his pulse. "She says and Avery gently grabs Derrick's arm pressing two fingers against his wrist feeling for his pulse. "He has a pulse but it's slow. "She replies. 

-------------

Hey guys I hope you liked the introduction it took me about a week to write. I get distracted too easily. I hope y'all have a good day/night and stay safe! Please vote for my book and follow me so you'll get notifications when I publish new chapters.