4: Crash - Part 1

Seth's POV
Friday, 8:08 P.M.

My phone buzzes in my pocket.

From: Ben
im in love with this girl!!!

I smile down at Hilary, my arm around her as we walk. I put my phone back into my front pocket, and as I do, Hilary's phone goes off as well. She checks it. "Your mom?" I ask.

She nods as she types a reply. "Yeah, I've got to go," she says, looking up at me. "Can you drive me home? I can walk, but I'd rather not alone at night."

"Of course!" I give her a quick kiss. "My car is just over here," I add as I pull away.

"Thank you," Hilary says. "I owe you a ride once I get my car," she adds, smiling. We arrive at my car. She gives me a hug and kisses me before I open the door of my car for her.

-

Ben's POV

9:21 P.M.

I sit on the living room couch, texting Jen and laughing to myself. She's really cute. My mom comes into the room and teases me about Jen for a little while but I just roll my eyes and laugh it off. I really don't mind.

Then I see a text from Seth pop up on my phone. My heart drops when I read it.

From: Seth
HILARY AND I WERE IN AN ACCIDENT HOW SOON CAN YOU GET TO THE HOSPITAL PLEASE ASAP

To: Seth
OH MY GOSH WHAT HAPPENED HOW??

I text Jen while I wait for his reply, my heart pounding hard against my chest.

To: Jen
HILARY AND SETH WERE IN AN ACCIDENT AND THEYWANT ME TO COME TO THE HOSPITAL

My phone buzzes with Seth's reply:

From: Seth
I'LL TELL YOU WHEN YOU GET HERE JUST PLEASE HURRY UP I'M REALLY SCARED

I stand up and grab my keys and wallet, my hands shaking, then hurriedly yell where I'm going and run out the door. I get into my car and start the engine. I check my messages for a second before pulling out of the driveway.

From: Jen
OH MY GOSH ARE THEY OKAY??!! I JUST TOLD KOREY AND SHE AND I WILL MEET YOU AT THE HOSPITAL I'M LEAVING RIGHT NOW

To: Jen
I DON'T KNOW IF THEY'RE OKAY. I'LL MEET YOU THERE

(a/n how do u like my all caps texting bruh)

I set my phone down and pull out of my driveway. I start driving to the hospital as fast as I can without getting a ticket.

---------

I badly park my car and sprint as fast as I can through the front doors of the hospital. I see Seth waiting for me in the front lobby. He sees me and immediately runs to me. His eyes are red and full of worry, his face pale. He has a large bandage on the left side of his forehead and a few bruises but other than that he's relatively unscathed.

"Hilary-she's-I-we-" Seth stutters, gasping in between each word.

"Slow down," I say, "what happened?! Is she okay?"

He takes a deep breath. "I was driving her home because she didn't want to walk and she's... we were turning a corner and this drunk driver came out of nowhere and hit the passenger side of my car..." he continues, his voice shaking. I've never seen Seth like this before... "I didn't get hurt much but...she-she's in critical condition right now... they don't know if..." he trails off, his eyes starting to well up with tears. He presses his palms to his eyes, inhaling deeply. I look down at the floor. I'm in shock... this can't happen to someone like Hilary... she's always been such a sweet and caring person.