The Truth

Zak had the bus driver drop him off in front of a police station and then told him to take the rest of the group to the nearest hotel. The boys all rush to get a room for me and then they rush to help me out of the bus.

I don't like all the attention that they're giving me. To be frank, I would prefer only one or two of them help me out. To bad I can't say anything to any of them. They all crowd into the elevator with all of their belongings before they realize that there isn't any space for Dakota and I. The door was already closing when Aaron yells,

"Get to know each other!"

The elevator doors shut. I look at Dakota, Dakota looks at me.

"So..... You like video games?" He asks

I cock my head to the side quizzically. What the hell is he talking about?

"C'mon, you have to know what a video game is. I'll show you what I have when we get up to your room." He says adjusting the bag on his shoulder.

I nod and fiddle absentmindedly with the plastic bag in my lap. This bag contains everything I own. All my medications from the hospital, the shredded clothing Zak found me in, and a snow globe from one of our stops on our way to Oregon. It's not much, but it's all mine. I can't remember the last time I had something all to myself. The elevator doors open again, turning up empty. Dakota pushes my chair inside and turns me around so I can just roll out when we reach the room. The doors shut and the elevator starts moving.

"We got rooms on the top floor because we know you need your space. I think you're bunking with just Zak but I can stay with you or have one of the other guys stay with you until he gets back." Dakota says.

I just nod. The elevator stops and opens. Dakota pushes me out into the hallway and walks all the way down the hall. I notice how there aren't many doors on this floor. These rooms must be huge if there's so little doors. Dakota stops in front of the middle door on the left.

Walking in front of me, he pulls out a key card. He opens the door with said card and rushes to pull me inside. I don't notice the scale of the room until we actually pass the threshold. There's a living room, and at least three other bedrooms in this place. There's even a small kitchen area to the left.

"So this is it. I'm not a fan of the big places but it's still pretty sick." Dakota says.

I nod. This place is big. Dakota puts his bags down and pushes my chair to one of the larger couches in the living room.

"You'll probably be here most of the time since you can't really move, but if you want to go to your room, which is the biggest, just let me know and I can carry you." He says helping me up

I nod as Dakota lifts me up off the chair and onto the couch with ease. I figured the casts would make me heavier, but I guess not. He picks my blanket off he floor and covers me up with it.

"I'll be right across the hall. I'm gonna talk to the others really fast." he says walking away.

I hear the door close and I let out a sigh I didn't know I was holding. I feel my body relax. I scooch down on the couch to lay on my side and pull the blanket up over my shoulder. I'm so tired. I just need a nap. A quick nap.

I close my eyes and relax a little bit. Just a quick nap....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look around, confused.

This isn't the hotel room. I see a woman sitting in a chair by the fire place. She turns and looks at me. It's my mom.

"You're home. It's been so long." she says with a soft smile.