Chapter 3: The feeling of being abandoned

It hurts when everyone abandons you.

Althea Adler
***

Year 2015...

             Another year came and still I am on this bench in the playground after class as usual while hoping for my friend to come back. Last year's first day of school he save me from being bullied by those mean girls in the third grade class.  And hence today is the first day for school, he'll may come again just like the other year.

             I sat on the bench and watched the other kids play. My brother is now a fourth grader so he will be out from class later. I bring out the book Darwin gave me when we were in the first grade, The alogarithm of number.

            Everyday, this book helped me from boredom. There are lots of equations that I can answer.

             Flipping every pages of the book is like walking on your own story. Your life is your own kind of story. That only means what you do to your life is how you write your own story. Then, what could be my story then?

             After Darwin left, I never got the guts to make friends again. If they will just going to left then it's better not to make one. It  ain't helpful. It only means that my story is a living without a friend.

...
              Ten minutes passed and my brother is not yet here. Maybe he's coming now. I fixed my things so we can go when he arrived. Dad is surely in his way now. I picked the piece of paper that fall from the book when I noticed the kids are running to the road. My heart beats faster than usual.

              People are running to the road. I hear sirens and people's  shout. What could it be?

              "Help! Help! Help!"

              "Call an ambulance!"

             "Help! Help! Help!"

              Those shouts gets louder and louder and suddenly formed into a huge crowd. I saw my dad's car parked near the crowd. He rushed himself and get in despite of the crowd. He then cried and carry the kid into the ambulance.

               It was my brother. I stopped for a moment. I can't even move. My heart that went to a racing game earlier suddenly stops. From all people why does it have to be my brother? I cried.

                I'm alone now. The crowd had already back to what they do earlier. Kids are playing. The road became busy again but I am still here standing. My dad forgot that I was also waiting for him nor my mother.

               I decided to go back on the bench where I spent my time earlier. Maybe I'll just have to wait here. I turn my attention to the book again. I sarted solving the problems again. If this ability of being beyond is unusual why is the government seems not to notice so my parents can pay attention only to a one child?

               No. I should not think of that. It was an accident.

              "Have you lose your mind? How can you ever think of that?" a voice suddenly speaks from the back.

               I got goose bumps from that voice. How could I not be able to recognize that? I've been waiting for him like forever. I turned around at him and finally saw him. Just like last year he looks so emotionless. A sudden grin formed in his face.

              "What now? Call the teacher and asked her to get you home." he said like a brother to me.

               Yes. That's right. It's Darwin Agreste the only friend I have. And he is back.