elephant in the room

Start from the beginning

Neville chuckled, pressing multiple kisses along your neck and shoulder. "Ginny actually pulled me aside one day," he started. "She told me something that's been on my mind for a while."

"Do tell, love."

The herbology professor blushed a little, holding you a little tighter than before. "She threatened me that, and I quote, "if she doesn't have a godchild anytime soon she'll burn down my garden." You sighed, rolling your eyes at the thought of your friend yelling at your husband.

"Ah, Ginny," you mused. "Always a firecracker, that one."

Neville hummed, gently rubbing your stomach, causing you to giggle. "So, would you want to have a child? It's your body so I don't want to force you into something you don't want and-"

You shushed him, smiling at your dear husband. "Yes, Neville. I want a child." Neville's eyes glowed with excitement, his face lighting up.

"Really? Like, right now, or-"

You laughed as you placed your mug on your desk. "Yes, Neville." Suddenly, Neville lifted you from the ground, tossing you over his shoulders as he made his way to the bedroom. Laughing along with your husband, he gently placed you on the bed, planting kisses all around your face, down to your neck and collarbone. Neville smiled giddily at you, kissing you deeply.

"I love you, y/n Longbottom," he whispered. You held Neville's face in your hands.

"I love you, too, Neville Longbottom."

Months later, your stomach grew much larger. Once it was confirmed you were pregnant, you and Neville agreed to keep it a secret. After all, the students were quite nosy and you couldn't bear to let rumors spread like wildfire. But, months along, it was too difficult to hide much longer.

You walked into your classroom, hand gingerly holding onto your stomach. Your previous attire no longer fit, much to your dismay, so you settled for a large knit sweater and a pair of pants.

Currently, you had seventh year Gryffindors and Slytherins. You grew quite close with this group, and -while you would never say it out loud- they were your favorites. The students eyed you suspiciously as you sat at your desk. Finally settled in your desk, you noticed everyone staring at you silently. Sighing, you decided it was time to tell them.

"Oh fine," you groaned, running your fingers through your hair. "I assume it's time to address the elephant in the room." All the girls sat at the edge of their chairs, hearts beating out of their chests. "Yes, I am pregnant."

The entire classroom roared with cheers and excitement. A group of Gryffindor girls ran up to your desk, requesting to see your stomach. You were delighted with their response, fearing that they would not take your pregnancy as positively as you hoped. You decided it was fit to tell every class, thinking it wouldn't be fair to only tell one class. Everyone took the news very well, others crying when they found out you would take maternity leave soon. However, one confused second year asked you if it were Neville's child, which you -confused as well- confirmed it was. (You thought your name you were addressed as, Professor Longbottom, as well as the ring on your finger was enough to tell them that Neville was your husband, but you guessed they never caught on).

As you and Neville expected, news about your pregnancy spread like wildfire around the castle. Professor McGonagall gave you both a tearful smile and congratulated the two of you. Even Hagrid gave you a tight hug, crying and wetting your sweater.

"I feel as if it were just yesterday," Hagrid sobbed. "when I taught the two of yer' as third years. Now you're married and about to have a child, I-" You teared up, giving Hagrid a tissue. "You'll let me visit the baby when it comes, right? Let old Uncle Hagrid spoil the bundle of joy?"