The Return to Hogwarts

Percy studies himself in the gold-rimmed mirror with a distant curiosity. He wonders if he looks any different than when he left. He thinks he does. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he just feels different.

Since he'd left for Camp Half-Blood, his facial hair had grown out a little. There was a thin layer of stubble now, and Percy decided he liked it. It makes him look a little older, a little closer to the age he feels. His face has maybe aged a bit, with the lines of his cheekbones more angled, his jaw more firm. He isn't any taller--he's stopped growing, finally--but maybe his shoulders look a little broader.

Percy think he looks more like his father.

He's wearing dark brown slacks and his signature white, button-down short rolled up to his sleeves. Riptide is settled in his right pocket, a comforting weight. His wand is in there too. Naturally, it's too long to fit in the pocket normally, but a little extension charm to the fabric works in handy. He doesn't wear robes, though. He will probably be the only teacher there without them.

Percy scans his cabin one last time. He waves his wand, sending his trunks to his quarters in Hogwarts, the rooms designated in a tower right near McGonagall's. He never knew the Deputy Headmaster had their own tower. It's not too far away from the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, which is convenient, as that's where he will be spending much of his time. McGonagall has elected to continue teaching Transfiguration classes, insisting that the students need as little change as possible. But last year's DADA teachers, the Carrows, cannot teach the class again, so Percy's got the job.

He frowns at the room. Everything he owns is off at Hogwarts now, except for the Minotaur horn on the wall and an old pair of shoes from years ago that he still has not thrown out. Percy is glad to leave, if he is honest with himself. His time at Camp Half-Blood this summer had been sad in the aftermath of Jason's death. He was glad to hear that Hazel and Frank are praetors of Rome now. He can see that his presence was helpful, at least, in getting Camp back on its feet. He wished Chiron or his dad or someone had warned him that he wasn't the only Camp alumn that was getting called back.

Seeing Annabeth didn't hurt as much as Percy had expected it to. He still felt a pang in his chest, but not from a broken heart. Rather, the pain came from the friend he had lost. Things with Annabeth were awkward now. She was going to Columbia University for architecture, he learned. She told him she is seeing a demigod therapist who has helped a lot. Still single. Still healing. Still not at a point where Percy can have her back in his life, even just as a friend. They have made their peace, at least. He thinks he can call her an acquaintance, now, albeit one that was not overly happy to hear that he had moved on.

Hermione.

Percy's heart lightens when he thinks of her. He will see her very soon--in just a few minutes. With that exciting thought, he spins on his heel, disappearing with a CRACK.

He apparates just outside the boundary. Percy can actually apparate inside Hogwarts--but that is information he doesn't want everyone knowing. The carriages have stopped and he sees the thestrals poking their heads out from the Forest. The Feast must have already started, then. Like normal, Percy is late.

He starts his walk up to the castle, then decides to run there to be faster. The sky is dark and the moon is casting a pleasing glow onto the lake. It looks exactly like the first night he saw Hogwarts.

***
Dumbledore had instructed Percy how to get to Platform 9 and 3/4. He had bought Percy a boat ticket and given him written instructions--which he'd last soon after. It didn't matter, though. He had read it so many times in his excitement that the curled letters of the Headmaster's words were etched into his memory.

Sally had sent him off alone--she could not leave or Gabe would have a fit. So young Percy traveled across the ocean alone, and burst through onto the station by himself. He had heaved his singular trunk onto the steaming scarlet engine, the golden words declaring Hogwarts Express on the side.

He'd struggled to get his things up in the overhang. He had just turned twelve, and this was years before his growth spurt. He was short and scrawny.

Four hands joined him in the final push--pale and freckled hands that belonged to two equally pale and freckled twins.

"Hey there," one of the redhead boys greeted with a cheery grin. It was the type of smile that Percy knew meant trouble. Of course he recognized it—he saw it in the mirror every day.

"I'm Fred Weasley," the other twin introduced, his eye gleaming. "And that's my brother George."

Percy made a mental note of their differences: Fred's slightly crooked jawline, the freckle by George's left eye.

"Hi," he smiled back at them, letting his crooked grin show his equal mischief. "I'm Percy Jackson."
***

Percy stops jogging outside the Great Hall, slowing to a casual pace as he pushes the grand doors open. The damage from the war has all been repaired.

The students, right in the middle of their meals, stop chatting and look up as Percy enters. He flashes McGonagall an apologetic smile as he struts towards the teachers' table at the front of the room.

Percy passes the Gryffindor table, and his heart leaps in his chest when he spots that familiar bushy brown hair. He smiles and dances his fingers over her shoulder as he passes. So slight as to be unnoticed.

Percy sees two gingers and a mop of black hair by Hermione. He is surprised to realize that Ron and Harry joined Hermione and Ginny in their seventh year. No doubt the witches had made them. Percy doubts that Harry and Ron were eager for more school.

McGonagall stands up as Percy approaches the table. "Professor Jackson will be assuming the position of Deputy Headmaster," she announces, as if the Wizarding World had not been buzzing about that for the past month since the staff had been announced. Slughorn, Trelawney, Firenze, Flitwick, and the others watch Percy somewhat skeptically. He isn't quite sure why. Perhaps they find his youth and lack of teaching experience poor qualifications to be Deputy Headmaster. Perhaps they had wanted that position for themselves. Or maybe they are unsure of how to treat a demigod. After all, Percy had announced his heritage and then left the Wizarding World a few days later. Indeed, the students also seemed to be regarding him warily.

He had been foolish to believe that he could return without a hitch.

McGonagall nods curtly at Percy, silently urging him to address the students. She looks professional, but kindness simmers beneath her gaze. Percy's heart warms a bit. He has at least one ally here.

"Hullo, everyone," Percy greets the silent hall. "I know you're in the middle of your meals, so I'll make this short.

As you surely know by now, this year at Hogwarts is going to be different from any year we've had so far. I ask you to be patient with your professors and your friends as we navigate this together. My classroom will be a safe space for all students, so please come to me if you need anything. And I ask you to be open-minded and accepting as we all move forward together."

He nods and sits in his chair next to McGonagall, a little uncertain. Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Ginny clap first with Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin joining in that order. The staff applauds politely as well. It is calm and stiff, not the overwhelming or at least enthusiastic response he had hoped for. As a student here, Percy had been quite popular. Now that he has ousted himself as a demigod, it seems the students--and staff--are unsure of what to make of him. Judging by the uncomfortable looks on some of the Slytherins' faces, Percy acknowledges that he is not the only one who feels out of place this year.

Percy knows there is still lots of work to be done. The Wizarding World is a far throw from being close to moving on. In fact, Percy thinks their healing has only just started.