5 - Ashe

Light filtered in through the thin cloth of my curtains and danced across my face. The buttery early morning light found a crack in the curtains and a beam of bright light landed directly on my face, the sun's way of declaring its presence and a fresh start in the new day.

   I hissed and threw an arm over my face. It was always hard to get out of bed when I'd dealt with literal shit the night before.

   Trying to be the responsible apprentice I was, I dragged my sore body out of bed and over to my wardrobe.

    I pulled open the smooth wood doors and a drawer on the bottom at the same time, blindly reaching a hand into each. My fingers grasped fabric and I randomly yanked at the two pieces of clothing I chose. Holding them up to my face, I grimaced.

A mustard yellow tunic and a pair of mud brown leggings. I scoffed and switched the leggings for black ones then snatched a belt.

I dressed quickly, pulling on white socks and my shop slippers. I unbraided my still damp hair and let it hang in waist length waves. I'd put it up later.

I quickly yanked my covers around until they resembled something neat and stacked my pillows at the head of the bed.

   Yawning, I slipped out of my room and scurried quickly across the floorboards of the hallway. I soundlessly padded down the tight spiral staircase.

Pushing open the creaky door that lead to the back room, I poke my head in, searching for Mr. Harrinson.

I spotted his hunched form over at one of the herb tables. I bit back another yawn and entered the room, wrapping my belt around my waist and clasping it.

   "Coffee's over there." Mr. Harrinson pointed out the pot on a shelf of herbs, still somewhat full.

   I walked across the room and admired the distance between the coffee pot and the kitchen (where it was supposed to be) and shook my head. "I don't even want to know."

   Mr. Harrinson snorted. "I'll need you to run errands this morning."

   "Okay." I held the pot up to my face, eyeing the contents suspiciously. "How many cups of coffee have you had?"

   Mr. Harrinson paused in his work for the first time since I'd entered the room, slowly turning around to face me guiltily.

   He moved to push back his curly hair only to find it pulled back in a bun. "Yes, about that..."

    Now juggling a mug of lukewarm coffee and a wedge of cheese, I brushed past him and squished his bun. "I would say at least four."

    "Five." He laughed as I took a bite of cheese.

    I spun around and raised my brows, swallowing my cheese. "How long have you been up?"

    "Early." Mr. Harrinson had turned back to his herbs. "I had an idea for Miss Callehow's medication. I want to try something new."

     "Makes sense. Tell me about it after I feed the little demons." I took another bite of cheese and opened the lid to the meat barrel.

   Mr. Harrinson snorted again. "Rune is in a good mood this morning. He let me touch him."

   I scooped the meat into both buckets, smiling to myself. It was funny how the dragons were so loyal to me. Well I suppose it was due to the fact that I was their mother in a way. I had hatched them afterall.

"Good for him, reaching out." Rune was shy around others, even though he'd known Mr. Harrinson his whole life.

I took a sip of the coffee and nearly spat it out in disgust. It was cold. I rolled my eyes and glanced at Mr. Harrinson's bent over form. He was absorbed in his work. I turned my back to him and shoved the last bite of cheese in my mouth, before placing both hands on my mug. I concentrated on my body heat, warming only my hands and the mug in them until steam rose from the contents.