In the end, Akira and Aomine were on one side and Midorima and Murasakibara ended up on the other.

"This might be worth a watch....." said Sora.

"Himeji..." began Akashi.

"Okay, okay. I remember. Good luck guys."

"You'll be needing it more." whispered Akira to Sora winking. "We'll be off now."

"Aren't they playing with fire here?" said Sora watching Murasakibara's retreating form.

"Yup." said Akashi.

"Do you think they'll survive?"

"That depends on how hungry Murasakibara is."

"Akashi-kun?"

"Yes?"

"What was with that score?"

"Meaning?"

"The match you guys played with the second string.... The score was 0 - 10. That's odd. You guys can even score in triple digits. Something up?"

"Oh. That. We were given targets."

"Targets?"

"Yeah. Like in this match for example, we had to score ten and then freeze the score."

"Isn't that a bit harsh....."

"Harsh? Why so? Our levels are different. Besides, the first string is running out of motive to practice. So coach came up with this."

"Wouldn't that be.... insulting?"

"I did tell you before. It's for good. We've thought it through."

His tone clearly indicated that he didn't want to talk about it anymore. So Sora decided to drop the subject.

"I wonder how the match is going...."

"Who knows....."

*******************************

"Mura-kun has.... gone....completely.... nuts." said Akira panting.

"He's surely more fired up than usual." said Aomine in a tone of frustration.

The first team to thirty would be the winner. And now the score was 29 - 27.

Murasakibara was playing like a house on fire. He slammed in the ball making the score 31 - 27.

"Mine-chin.... Give it back. Now!"

Aomine looked at him sheepishly. "Atsushi, the last period was history. Sorry couldn't help it.... I needed sustenance."

Akira gulped. Judging from Murasakibara's expression, the next thing through the hoop would probably be Aomine's head.

"Mine.....chin...."

"Sorry Atsushi!" said Aomine making a run for it.

"Come here now! Your lunch is mine tomorrow!"

"Virgo was seventh today, nanodayo." said Midorima adjusting his glasses. "This was something to be expected."

"Shin-chan, what's Leo's position today?" enquired Akira.

"Fourth, nanodayo."

"I suppose it could be much worse....."

"Is there any particular reason for your question, nanodayo?"

"Not really. Just thinking about Sora."

***************************

"Already?"

Sora had half collapsed on the floor. Even though she wasn't looking up, she knew Akashi was gloating.

"One minute, I'm getting up."

"Perhaps we should just call it a day and wind up. You don't look like you can play anymore." he said teasingly.

Sora pushed herself onto her feet. Ever since the coach had taken over, she had been especially keen to practice. The training had become all the more demanding and Sora had vowed to herself that she would grit it out if it was the last thing she did. Training additionally helped her to stay one step ahead. It would probably be vital if she wanted to pass training unscathed. Akashi, who had understood this, had taken to taunting her with idle threats to stop practice. Sora realized that he was probably messing with her as payback for the first term. The last thing she wanted to do was to give him any satisfaction by reacting.

"This time, try to use a drive with your left hand." he suggested as she got back onto her feet.

"Right."

"Go."

*****************************

Sora was closing her locker when a voice behind her said,

"Himeji-san, you look really tired."

"Oh! Kuroko-kun....it's you. You scared me. And in reply to your question, practice."

"I see. You have a new coach don't you?"

"Hmm. In a way, she isn't exactly new...."

"How is coaching and practice going?"

"I'm not sure how to say this..." said Sora hesitantly. "But at any rate, we'll probably have the strongest team...."

"Good to know." said Kuroko with a smile.

Sora hadn't exactly meant it in a sense of pride or anything but she didn't feel it was necessary to pull Kuroko into it.

"It getting late." said Akashi who had come up behind them. "You two have to travel a bit far right?"

"Don't worry, oka, I just leaving. Bye, Kuroko-san, Akashi-san."

"Will you be alright Himeji-san? Do you want me to accompany you?" said Kuroko.

"Nah, I'll be fine."

"But Akira-san said you slept on the bus one day after practice and woke up three stops later."

Sora turned slowly.

"It's four, Kuroko." added Akashi helpfully with a grin.

"Was there anything else?" said Sora controlling herself with effort.

"No...." said Kuroko slowly.

"Then, I'll get going."

"Akashi-kun, can I ask you something?" said Kuroko as he watching her leave.

"What is it?"

"Did I just kill Akira-san?"

"At any rate...." said Akashi still grinning. "We'll have a rough idea about what happened if Tamotsu mysteriously doesn't turn up tomorrow."