Happy Birthday Wosewyn!

A pained yelp resounded in the early Friday morning, echoing through the walls and reaching even the smallest of ears. Tiny fists rose to rub sleepy eyes, blinking lazily as light filtered through the gaps of the curtain.

It was a new day. Nothing really special. Maybe it would be like any other day in her four month stay in this house. She did not raise her hopes up.

The bedroom door opened to reveal a smiling man, entering the room and drawing the curtains to the side, the sunshine glaring hard through the glass.

"Rose, gising na. Naghanda na ako ng paborito mong breakfast. Yung lego mo pala, hindi mo naibalik sa lalagyan. Naapakan ko." He said in an apologetic tone.

Rose blinked at him before gathering her blanket and tidying it up as best as she could. A tiny sorry barely slipping past her lips. The young man whom she calls Papa in her head- only in her head, decides to help her arrange the bed neatly, helping her down the bed before going to the next room.

"Jo, male-late ka na sa work. Please bumangon ka na diyan."

A muffled No came from under the covers. Futhark rubbed his temples, taking out Joyeuse's pressed shirt from the closet. "I made coffee. Sige ka, lalamig na 'yon."

"Futhark, we live in a modernized world. You can always reheat it. Or better yet, make a fresh pot later." Came the groggy reply then he went back to sleep without a care for the world.

"Sayang yung kape. Bumangon ka na, maghahanda pa tayo, remember?" He whispered so as not to let the little girl know of his plans.

"...."

"Maglalaba pa ako mamaya. Yung mga damit ni Lae tambak na naman. Sino pa ba kasing maglalaba ng damit niya?" He said as he grabbed a pair of socks from the drawer.

"Love, let me have my bloody sleep."

"Nagpuyat ka na naman kasi kagabi. Hindi naman 'yun minamadali eh. Tapos late ka araw-araw. Jo, hindi ko talaga alam kung bakit hindi ka pa nasisibak sa trabaho." Futhark shook his head, eyes sweeping past the calendar that says November 24.

"It's not that complicated. They need me more than I need them." Joyeuse's tone was smug as ever, finally deciding to get up as he put on his glasses. "Now that your nagging has woken me up, I demand compensation." He crossed his arms with a huff, a slight frown marred his face.

Futhark let out a quiet chuckle, replying before he went down to the kitchen. "Sinasabi mo 'yan as if hindi ka matutulog sa trabaho mamaya. Basta before 3 PM umuwi ka na."

Roselyn was the name of the child currently seated at the dining room, quietly eating her star shaped pancakes, the orange juice only half full. It was exactly four months since the young couple brought her home from the orphanage. She barely makes a peep, intelligent eyes darting to and fro expressively.

"Dahan dahan lang sa pagkain. Dadagdagan ko ba yung juice mo?" Futhark fussed as soon as he entered the room like a ruffled hen.

The little girl shook her head. "Okay na po..."

"Yung lunchbox mo nilagyan ko ng paborito mong chicken nuggets. Para sa snack, ginawan kita ng ham sandwich 'tsaka may chuckie na din sa loob.

Ubusin mo okay... anak." Roselyn felt warmth inside her chest. Even though her face does not show it, her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Futhark, nanay na nanay ah." A voice chimed in.

"Hi, Wosewyn!" Edward greeted, referring to the first time that the girl introduced herself.

"Uncah Edwarf..." Was her greeting, shrinking into the chair as she tried to finish her food. Edward's eyes widened just a tiny bit.

"Perkele, umagang umaga inaapi n'yo ako! It's Edward, kid." Edward cursed, earning a glare from Futhark.