4

California, unfortunately, woke up during regular morning hours. God dammit.

He threw a blanket over his head and willed himself to go back to sleep, but apparently by some cruel fate he just had to get up now.

He got changed, found his glasses, other morning activities that I don't want to think of because I'm tired, and put on his discarded flannel before heading out to get coffee.

As he walked to the kitchen he could see Florida snickering out if the corner of his eye. He did find that a little suspicious, but whatever. He can do thoughts after coffee

__

As he sipped his coffee he enjoyed the silence and peace of morning, something quite rare in the statehouse.

"Is..that my.."

California turned around to see Texas standing behind him. He hadn't even heard the larger state walk over.

Blinking slowly, trying to clear the fog from his brain he gave him a small wave

"Oh hey Texas, good morning" his smile faded as he saw the look of pure confusion on his face.

Texas didn't respond, he just stood there for a moment. California could practically see the gears turning in his head.

"Why are you wearing my shirt?"

California looks down.

Oh no.

And there it was, Texas's red button up, plain as day right where his flannel should be. How in the actual fuck did it get out of his closet??

"I-....uh..." He could tell he was blushing. This would a great time to be able to think, but his braincells seem to have jumped ship

"Yeah, why do you have his shirt?" A wild Florida had appeared with the magic of chaos and was leaning on the counter with a smug grin, 'annoying shit who knew this was gonna happen' style.

"Well-....Er.."

"And you thought it was me!" Florida said, swiveling his chair around to face Texas with mock offense "When the real thief was here all along" he guestured towards California's direction "Care to explain yourself Cali?"

"I didn't steal it!"

"Mhm, suuure. And that's why you're red as a tomato"

"What are you implying?"

"Well that depends entirely on how you took it" Florida shot back. California opens his mouth to protest his innocence when he's cut off by Texas

"You know, if you wanted it you could've just asked" He smiled warmly at California "You look cute in it anyway" he winks at him, before walking away like an innocent motherfucker who did not just pull that

California can't breath. He's sure this is the end of him.

"So....You and Texas huh?"

Cali jumped, realizing Florida was still there. He would have denied that, of course, but his brain was still reeling.

At least now he didn't have to return the shirt.