Chapter 10

Rapunzel woke up to the sound of excited whispering. She groaned slightly before sitting up. Hera and Monica were speaking rapidly, trying hard to keep their voices down.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"I'm sorry, My Lady. We didn't mean to wake you," Monica said.

"The queen is throwing a ball in honor of the summer weather that has arrived," Hera added.

Rapunzel was surprised. A ball. More royals and tightness and fake smiles. What on earth did people see in those kinds of gatherings? Was it just a source for gossip to emerge from?

"When is it?"

"Tomorrow night. We should start planning right away!" Monica seemed to remember that she served a princess and quickly followed up with, "If that's okay with you."

"Yes, yes. Why don't you go and get the others and see if you can find Ellie. Tell her that I would like my breakfast now, please."

Ellie always snuck a little extra for Rapunzel, in exchange for a quick minute's break from her chores that she's been doing since dawn. That's why all the servants loved winter. Shorter days and less work, with less balls and festivals.

Once her Ladies had gone, she went to her desk and began to write a letter to Jack.

Dearest Jack,

Good morning! I just woke up to the most wonderful news! The Queen is throwing a ball in honor of the summer weather that has finally arrived. I will be spending the entire day planning what I will wear, say, and do at this ball. Isn't it exciting?

Okay, read that whole paragraph with a sarcastic voice.

This letter must be short, for my Ladies will be back shortly. It is hard pouring my heart out on to this letter when people barge in halfway through.

Enough complaining though. How is Jewlia? You had said before that her birthday was in the beginning of summer. Has it passed yet? If so, tell her that your special girl has wished her a happy birthday and tell me how she reacts.

Could we meet up soon? I will bring a blanket to lay on and you can bring food and we can stay under the willow tree for a while. It is hard to get good food, which is the complete opposite of what you would expect in a castle. Crazy, right?

I hope to see you soon.

With love,

Rapunzel

Rapunzel hovered over the letter before writing that last line. She had just implied that she loved Jack, and it was a very risky thing to do. She held her breath as she folded up the letter and sealed it in a envelope.

With fast movements, she tucked it in a book and closed it just as the Ladies came bustling in.

"My Lady," Ellie said quietly, handing over a plate over not one, not two, but three rolls and a full cup of orange juice.

"Thank you, Ellie. I think there's a loose spring on the chair in there. If you could check it, please." Ellie smiled graciously and went into the next room.

"Rose, could you help me get dressed? The rest of you, get together all the details of the ball. We will have to figure out what we will wear based on that."

Rapunzel only acted excited to stop the sneaky Ladies from reporting it to the Queen.

Rose laced up the corset, not too tightly, as she poured out her true feelings.

"I detest these balls," Rapunzel admitted. "No one seems to actually have fun. It is like a place for them to fill up their gossip cup until the next ball. Ugh!"

"Don't hate on balls too much. This will be Hannah, Meg, and mine's first ball ever. We need to judge for ourselves before we help you plan to be rid of balls forever."

Rapunzel smiled, happy she had a friend.