Godfather? Really? Ah hell.

Start from the beginning

I kept crying until someone pulled me away.  

"Let me go!" I screamed. Someone was trying to comfort me.  

"Where is daddy?" I asked.  

"Natalia your parents are dead."

I woke up with a start. As I realized what was happening I screamed as loud as I could.  

This could not be happening to me.

After some more of my screaming. My world was slowly becoming dark.

I woke up the next morning to a cold and an empty house. The maids were there but everything felt so dead to me. I wanted to scream and cry and not be known to anyone. I got off my bed and went to the living room where I saw a pile of newspapers. I grabbed one off the pile and went into the kitchen to get something to eat. Our cook Mrs. Beth was making a few pancakes. She turned around and gave me an apologetic smile.

"How are you today love?"

"I'm okay Mrs.Beth." I smiled at her.  

She put a plate full of my favourite banana pancakes in front of me and started talking about sorry she is that I had to lose my parents at this age. Blah blah blah.  I zoned out as soon as I heard her mention my parents.

"It's okay. Can we not talk about this ?"  

She nodded and went away. I took the paper and when I read the headlines. Time stopped. My breath hitched.  

'Natalia Simmons is an orphan following the death of her parents due to a shootout in Lake Yeter'  

The article went on to tell about how they died when they were on vacation and a random shootout happened which killed them both. I couldn't read anymore. I wiped away my silent tears and threw the paper into the trash can.

The calling bell rung and I went out of the kitchen and to the main door. I opened it to find a tall well toned man in his late forties looking down at me. I looked at him with curiosity.

"I'm sorry but do I know you?"

He smiled sadly. "Hello Natalia. I'm Richard Shay. And I'm your godfather."  

Ah hell.

"Come on in Mr. Shay."  

I opened the door wide enough to let him pass by and closed it behind him. He went into the living room and I followed. It seemed like he knew the place quite well.

"It must be very overwhelming for you to know that you have a godfather Natalia. But I was your fathers best friend and it has been mentioned in his will that you'd be in the care of me in case of his death or your mothers. I'm very sorry for your loss."

I looked at him for the first time. Properly. I was taken aback by the amount of pain his eyes held. Maybe he really is my godfather. The lawyers who handled my fathers will mentioned I had one. But I didn't know who it was. I slowly nodded my head.

"But why exactly are you here Mr.Shay?"

"Please call me Richard. I'm here to take you to my home in America. We have a house in New York and you have to come stay with us."

It took quite sometime processing what he'd just said. New York? Are you fudging kidding me? I'd have to leave my house alone?

"What will happen to my house and all the businesses around here?"

"It's all been taken care off. You just have to pack your stuff up and I will get the private jet and we can leave."

I nodded. "When do we have to leave?"

"We can leave tonight if you want."

"Okay. I'd like that. Do I come to the airport at about 8 o'clock?"

"That would do. I'll see you then. Bye Natalia. Take care."

He got up and walked out of the living room. I just stood there letting it all sink in slowly. I am moving to New York in less than eight hours. I have a whole new life waiting for me there.

I looked up at the clock and it was 10 o'clock. I rushed up the stairs and into my room. I looked around my room to find the things I need. I grabbed two suitcases out of the closet and put all my clothes and shoes into it. The next suitcase was filled with my books and other necessaries. I finally took a picture off the wall. It was a picture of me and my parents from when I was 15 years old. I looked at the picture and let all the emotions flood through me. I didn't deserve this. But maybe I'd have a better time in New York. I let the tears fall freely.  

-----------

I looked at the time and it was 5 o'clock in the evening already. Time sure flies when you are crying. I went into the bathroom and had a shower and dried my hair. Got dressed for the flight grabbed my phone and keys and pulled my suitcases to the door. I locked up the house and went out.

I took my car to the airport. I'll call someone to take it back home for me.  

"Well. This is it Natalia." I told myself.

A new beginning.