Untitled Part 2

Mac flinched when he heard the loud screech of brakes rubbing violently against tires and rushed to the window after a resonating crunch as metal bent metal forcefully. He felt his heart falter as he saw Stella's vehicle drag across the concrete in blowback. He raced through the streets to her side and after assuring that the people in the other car were undamaged, he pushed Stella's car away from the other car. He felt a rush of dread and grief course through his body when he saw bright red blood streaked across her face.

"Stella!" he called to her.

She fluttered her eyes and moaned softly in response. Mac used his elbow to remove the shards of glass stuck on the window frame when she started to groan in pain.

"Stella, I need you to stay awake for me, can you do that?"

Stella sighed softly, her voice refusing to work and she furrowed her brow in frustration. "Mac," she whispered, her breath ragged as she forced the word out of her sore throat.

"Stella, can you move?"

Stella's struggled breath rose through the silence between them as she assessed her injuries by shifting softly. She turned her head to him and he smiled nervously when his blue eyes met her tired green ones.

"Can you remove your seatbelt?"

Mac waited anxiously as she slowly unbuckled herself, her hand falling limp against her leg afterwards. He smiled softly, pushing away guilt-ridden tears, before he helped her out of the car through the window. He pulled her closer to him once there wasn't a car blocking them and kissed the top of her head as he took her to an ambulance. Once she was hooked up, they started to drive to the hospital. The EMTs didn't dare try to separate the damaged Greek woman from the equally damaged man. His stern expression had the team straining to hear and obey to each and every word he uttered. Mac knew that, logically, he should leave the ambulance and let the doctors help her while he took charge of the crash site, but he couldn't leave her. Fear of never seeing her again had him tighten his hold on her hand. She smiled softly, trying to hide the pain which was radiating through her body.

"I'm sorry," he told her softly, "I'm so sorry, Stella, it's my entire fault."

A cloud of confusion crossed through Stella's face but before she could utter a single word, they were ushering her out of the van and into the OR, separating her from him in seconds.

He paced the waiting room, his rage and grief streaming down his cheeks in the form of tears. His breathing was shaky at best and he was becoming aggravated as the clock ticked the seconds and minutes in an ever slowing pace. He was moments away from pulling out his gun and shooting the clock down when a doctor that he remembered leading Stella away walked towards him.

"Detective Taylor?" the doctor asked him, once they were facing each other.

"Yes?"

"Your agent, Detective Bonasera, had some internal bleeding along with some small cranial fractures, but is in otherwise perfect condition. There is no permanent damage, so she was moved from ICU, but we'll have to keep her overnight for a few days till her vitals show that she's ready to go home."

"Can I see her?"

"Of course, please, follow me."

The doctor led him through endless hallways till finally arriving in front of her room. He breathed sharply when he looked through the window and saw her sleeping. Her arms and parts of her head were bandaged, and her breathing hitched at random intervals. She looked so small, so vulnerable, and so weak on that bed. He felt fresh tears prick at the corners of his eyes, and without hesitation, he entered the room and silently sat down on a chair next to her bed. He took her hand in his, holding it softly, as if he was afraid that if he held it tighter she would shatter.

Stella woke, feeling fire course through her veins. The bright hospital lights momentarily blinded her. She blinked rapidly to try to get her eyes used to the brightness, when she turned her head and her eyes met his worried but shining blue eyes. She smiled softly at him but when she noticed he had been crying her expression turned to that of concern.

"Mac, what is it? What's wrong?"

Mac shook his head softly, "Nothing's wrong Stella, everything is fine, you're fine."

"You were crying,"

Mac chuckled softly, "I was, but I'm not now."

Stella leaned back into the bed, her body aching at the movement. She let her mind wander to the accident. She pulled him closer by his hand when a certain memory popped into her mind. He was surprised by the abrupt motion and her strength; he chuckled as he almost crashed on top of her.

"It is NOT your fault," she told him, tears shining in her eyes, "If anything, this was my fault."

"Stella, if I hadn't pushed you away like I did, you wouldn't have been in that car accident."

"Mac, don't you dare blame yourself," she adamantly scolded, "I swear if you start moping around because of this I'm going to scream bloody murder."

Mac chuckled softly as he sat back down in his chair, and upon looking at Stella's still concerned face, he said, "I promise I won't."

Stella sighed back into her hospital bed, a soft smile playing on her lips. "How long do I have to stay here for?"

"Until you get better"

Stella looked at Mac, annoyance etched into her features, but amusement shining in her eyes.

"Mac..." she whined, "Jut tell me."

Mac hummed in thought, a smile illuminating his eyes as he teased her, "Just a few days, Stell."

"Are you coming back to work?" she asked; a small twinge of fear that he may retire early and leave her completely alone.

"Yeah, Stella," he smiled reassuringly at her, "I'm coming back."

"Good." She stated, smiling, before bursting out laughing, even though it hurt, "Because I'm not ready to take your job and become grumpy like you." She teased him.

"Morphine's kicking in, huh?" he chuckled softly before standing up and planting a soft friendly kiss on her forehead. "Get some sleep, Stell; I'll be right outside your door."

She started to mutter her protest but the drugs knocked her out before she can continue. He smiled as he watched her steady rise and fall, and before he left the room, he ran a hand through her curly hair and kissed her forehead once more.