The Reason Part 1

12 Years Later.

It's been 12 years, since my mother left me and my brother. I still remember the last time I saw her and the things she said. We were so young at that time, really clueless and orphaned over night. But they were least of my concerns. Because now I could feel myself becoming a liability on my toddler brother with my right to see the world taken away.

'I don't know if what that women said was true, but your grandfather leaving you us the moment that happened led me to so many questions. But I'm not dead yet and as your mother I know very well that you're not very fond of me for many reason which I might never know. But I need you to do me this last favour, take this blindfold for the time being, and take care of your brother.'

She continued while I laid facing the wall, in utter shock but my body was still numb to move and face her as she spoke.

'I lied to you before, your dad will never visit us again, he found happiness in a far away land. I'm happy for him. But I feel today I have lost the will to face anything or be here. Sorry for being a terrible mother. And last but not least please don't see your brother but be with him growing up, no matter what happens. I love you. I hope you can forgive me.'

It felt as if I lost everything that time. But why am I remembering that time now? Is it really the end for me.

I thought as I was held hostage by what felt like two heavy build men, they interrogated me for things I was hearing for the first time. And my answers remained same.

"I DON'T KNOW...!!! I SWEAR TO GOD, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE ANYMORE... PLEASE LET ME GO."

My voice cracks up in the middle.

"Do you have any idea how long we've been chasing her? I don't care if I get an answer cuz if I don't, I'm simply taking your eyes. The clan will not compromise with its secret and have all of our safety put in jeopardy. " One of them said in an unbothered tone and was possibly sitting on a chair in front me.

"But she's blind dude, that's won't give us anything, you know that...let's finish her off." the other one said.

They're going to kill me.

They would kill me... I kept saying this in my head. I was crying and was mortified.

"You don't know that... yet."

The first on said as he came close to my face and I backed up a bit. His hands went behind my head and untied the black blindfold and took it off. I shut tight my eyes did not open them. This was the last favor my mother asked me. I can't see the world, I don't deserve to.

"Oh by the way, what happened to her brother? Very helpful kid, very proud of his scarlet eyes, not knowing how dangerous having them can be outside the village itself, which he left when he was merely a toddler, right?" The one sitting in front of me said.

My heart sank. I had asked him to go play with his friends for few hours before I was forcibly dragged here, please be safe, you have to.

"He WAS crying a lot- "

Was....?

I saw the guy who said it. I saw his hideous face with ugly remark he made.

"But somehow managed to get away... "

Thank god. Please be safe. Please be safe. I kept repeating in my head.

"And that's how you know she is lying. A spy indeed. Finish her off." He stood up and left.

I looked down.

This is it.

This is the life you chose for me mom.

I don't even know if my brother is safe.

I don't even know what he looks like, and I'm going to die...

And... I don't even know what Chrollo looks like... I remember meeting him for the first time near that river I always visit. Every moment with him in these past six months started unfolding in my mind.

Heartache, I couldn't take. Not being able to meet him, talk to him, listen his voice,  just not being able be near him anymore made me quiver in fear more than dying itself.

Meanwhile that person took a knife and started coming my way... and I asked myself if I was only born to cry while the things and people I cherished the most were taken away from me... is this how I want it. Chrollo asked me to meet him tomorrow at the same place and I promised him that I will.

As the guy came close, he suddenly felt an immense pressure on himself. He was forced to kneel down and dropped his knife by an unseen force. He started struggling to live, his eyes became scarlet, he opened his mouth and blood came out and soon he would collapse.

I'm sorry. But this is not my end. Not until I decide that it is.

I took the opportunity and managed to get away from the ropes and chair I was tied down to. But I wasn't completely free, I had one more guy to deal with and I was compulsive, I didn't have a plan. But it didn't matter. I just wanted to get away.

As I started leaving the guy on the floor grabbed my ankle and asked me in a low voice...

"What... did... you... do?"

"Just a few things I learned, while being away from the village."

Brushed his hands off and went downstairs of an unknown dungeon looking like location. I was suddenly aware that my next move could cost me my life. This guy had a knife so it was worth the risk to test out something I learned not too long ago. But if the next one could be a nen user or with a weapon more deadly, I'll be dead in no time.

But when I reached downstairs, my eyes couldn't believe what I saw next. It was something that made me question, if I am finally safe or finally dead...