Chapter 1

"Nicole, this is serious! You can't talk to people you don't know!" I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Mom, I have met her. I promise!" She gave me her usual 'you're a lying bitch' look. "When?" "October." "Where?" Oh great. Now we're playing 20 questions. "Football game." "Do you have any proof?" "Yes. Yes I do." "Then show me." I gave her a smile and picked up my phone. I scrolled through my pictures until I found the picture my best friend and I had taken at the homecoming game earlier this year. "Here." She looked at it and compared it to the one on my computer screen. "Did she color her hair?" "Yes. Last weekend." She sighed and handed me my phone. "I'm just trying to protect you baby. You know ever since your dad left," My breath hitched. "Stop." She looked at me and sighed. "Don't talk about it." My phone buzzed and Mercy was calling me. I stood up and grabbed my bag and keys. "Mercy is here. I'll be home later." I hugged my mom and pushed past her towards the stairs. "Please Nicole. Be careful." I sighed and kept walking. When I got out to the car and slammed the door and took a deep breath. "She was questioning you about me again wasn't she?" I shot her a smile. "Not only that, she wanted proof." Mercy laughed until she was purple in the face. "OH MY GOD!" I looked at her face and suddenly bursted out in a fit of laughter too. When Mercy finally calmed down, she put the car in drive and sped off towards her house. "I wanna stop at Starbucks and Taco Bell first." My stomach jumped at the thought of food. I had been so frustrated with my mom I had forgotten to eat anything. "Good. I'm starving." When we pulled into Taco bell's parking lot, a group of girls were going in to the building. I looked at Mercy and she tensed up. "It's that," She darted me a look. I stopped before she hit me. I smiled at her. "Let's go through the drive through." "Good idea."
When we finally got to Mercy's house, we took the food and drinks straight down to Mercy's room. I sat my stuff down and looked at her. She
threw the food on the bed and walked towards me. I opened my arms and gave her a hug. "It's okay." She sobbed. "You don't need her Mercy. If she's too idiotic to realize what she had, then she's not worth your tears." "We were together for a year Nicole." I rubbed circles on her back. "I know babe. It hurts to have someone leave you." We sat there for at least half an hour. I lifted her face so she was looking at me. Dry your eyes, go get a movie and let's be white girls. She laughed and went to the bathroom. While she was in there I looked at my phone. Matt had blown my phone up wondering were I was. I quickly texted back. "I'm with Mercy. This is the first time we've gotten to hang out since the homecoming game. I'll come over tomorrow before I go home. I love you." I turned my phone off and threw it in my bag. Mercy came walking out in her sweats and Tshirt and collapsed onto the bed. I put the movie in and walked over to the bed. "Really?" She looked at me and laughed. I rolled my eyes as we started watching Frozen. "Nicole?" I looked at her. "Do you wanna build a snowman?" I laughed at her and jumped up. "Come on let's go and play." I pulled her up and we danced and sang to the movie until we couldn't anymore. "I've missed you." I smiled at her. "I missed you too faggot."
Around 3 in the morning we were laying there on our phones bored to death. "Let's get someone to FaceTime us." "Like who?" Her face lit up as she pulled up Instagram. "Mercy?" "Hold on ass muncher." I flicked her ear as she pulled up this guys Instagram page. "Follow him." I typed his name into the search bar and followed him. As I scrolled through his pictures my heart started racing. Once I spammed him, he direct messaged me. "Mercy." My heart stopped. She looked at my phone. "ANSWER HIM!" I looked at the message. "Thanks for the spam ️haha." I started typing back. "You're welcome ️haha." Mercy looked at me. "Go a head stupid." "What?" She glared at me. "Ask him to FaceTime smart one." I mouthed 'O' and asked him. He asked for my number and a few minutes later called me. "Hey Nicole!" He smiled. His smile was perfect. So were his eyes, hair, and voice. "Hey." I muted the mic. "What is his name?!" Mercy jerked her phone up. "Jonathan." I unmuted the mic and we got started talking. By 5 o'clock Mercy was asleep. "So where do you live?" I couldn't decide whether or not to lie. I remembered what my mom had said earlier. Then it just blurted out. "Denver." "Woah. That's a ways away from me." He chuckled. "Really? Where do you live?" "Virginia." "Oh." "Yeah. It's really boring here. That's why I'm going to Montana for college." "Why Montana?" "My aunt lives there." "Oh that's cool!" "Yeah I guess so. It's better than Virginia I suppose." I eventually started to dose off. "Well sleeping beauty, you should go to sleep. You look tired." I laughed a little and nodded. "Goodnight gorgeous. Text me tomorrow." He winked at me and I nodded. "Goodnight Jonathan." "Goodnight Nicole." I hit the end button, plugged my phone up, and passed out.