Chapter 2

The next morning I checked my phone and saw Jonathan had texted. So had Matt. "SHIT!" Mercy jumped up. "What?!" "I forgot about Matt. I need you to take me to his house!" Mercy nodded and went to change. "Why are you still with him Nicole? He's too controlling." "I love him." "Doesn't seem like it." "Well I do. A lot." "Haha okay." She walked out of the bathroom and grabbed her keys. "Let's go." I grabbed my bag and we went upstairs. "Hi mom. We're going out." "It's 11 in the morning." "I know this. We have places to go and people to see. Busy busy bees." Mercy grabbed two pieces of toast of the counter and we walked out the door. "BYE MOM." She slammed the door and we made our way to Matt's house. I texted him when we turned on his road. "Be ready. We're turning in." When we pulled in to Matt's driveway he came out and got in. "Where are we going?" "I don't care. Mercy just drive." Mercy drove off.
We stopped for lunch around 2 and talked. "So ya'll are going to start spending time together now?" "We would've been already but her car was messed up." "Oh." I met Mercy over Instagram. We texted for the longest time, and got really close. I was there through all of her breakups and friendship failures. We lived so close but could never manage to meet each other. Then our schools played against each other one night in October and I finally got to meet her. Her girlfriend, Daisha, didn't like us being friends though. So I hate seeing Mercy upset, but then again, I'm happy they broke up because I can have my best friend. "Matt, I love you, and I know you don't like her, but I love her to death, and she is my best friend. I am going to spend as much time with her as I can before we graduate and move." His face dropped. "I'm sorry. I'm just selfish and love MY girlfriend." I smiled. "I love you too." Later on when we dropped Matt off at his friend's house and we went back to Mercy's. I started to feel a little guilty because I had been flirting with Jonathan and was dating Matt. I realize Matt worries, but he treats me like shit all the time. I've tried to hang in there, but it just gets worse. He constantly wants pictures of me, or wants to get in my pants. I have more self respect and I just don't want to lose my virginity to him. I love him, but not enough. "NICOLE!" Mercy was waving her hand in front of my face. "What?" She looked at my phone. "Jonathan is calling." I panicked. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to be mean and ignore him, but then again, I didn't want to dig a bigger hole for myself. So I answered it. "Hello?" "Hey! I was just wondering what you're doing the second week of May?" My brain was so full from stuff with finals and everything, that I had no clue. "I'm not sure yet. That's a long way down the road." "True. Well, I'm coming to Denver in May for my birthday, so I figured we could meet." My heart started pounding. "Oh! Well, when it gets closer tell me the dates and I will let you know." "Alright! Well, my break is over. I'll text you later." "Okay! Bye!" "Bye." I threw my phone down and closed my eyes. A few minutes later I feel clothes fall onto my stomach. "Why?" I opened my eyes and Mercy was smiling at me. "What?" "Put them on." "Why?" "We are going to a Christmas/ Anniversary party." "For who?" "Walker and Paisleigh." "Oh. Okay." I put on my ugly sweater and leggings and curled my hair. I put on light makeup and my green vans. In 20 minutes I was ready to go. "Mercy. Can we please go?" She came out of the bathroom in her ugly outfit and got her bag. "Let's go." We drove for about 30 minutes until we pulled in to Walker's subdivision. "How long have they been together?" "Since our 5th grade year." "Wow." I was a year younger than most of Mercy's friends. I got a long with most of them except Rosa. She got on my last nerve because she knew she was better than me. When we walked in, there were already tons of people there. "Hey Mercy and Nicole are here!" "Hey guys." Everyone was wearing ugly sweaters. CHRISTMAS always made me happy because of that reason. People found some of the most God awful sweaters. After drinking my weight in Cheerwine, I had to pee really bad. I made my way upstairs to find the bathroom, opening any door I saw. I opened the second one and I honestly don't think I can ever un see what I saw. Heartbreak, and devastation.