Chapter One-Part Two

Start from the beginning

      "Who wants another mojito?" Connor questioned. Michaela and Asher immediately agreed, and she hesitated.

      "I don't know if I should."

      "Ooh, because you're pregnant with Frank's baby?" Michaela teased, and she rolled her eyes.

      "Definitely not. You know what, just hand it over." She outstretched her hand, and Connor placed a cold drink in it.

      Alyssa raised her half-full glass. "Here's to hoping we don't get thrown in jail this year."

      The others copied her action. "Cheers."

      Karmen wasn't sure how, but the conversation got directed to significant others.

      "So...anyone else in a relationship, besides Wes?" 

      When Karmen had heard that Wes got a girlfriend that wasn't Laurel, she was shocked. The girl, Meggy, also seemed very nice and bubbly from the five minutes she had known her.

      "Not me. Ask Karmen, she's single now." Michaela said.

      She clicked her tongue. "Michaela, the fact that you have brought Frank up twice now makes me think you were interested in him."

      The ravenette playfully glared at her.

      "You still haven't heard from Frank?" Asher inquired, and Karmen shook her head.

      "Nope." She lied. She hadn't told a single soul about the time he answered his phone, not even Alyssa. She thought maybe it'd be safer that way.

      "I bet he's living in South America, just off the fat of the land, whacking bush. God, I miss that beard." Asher chuckled lightly.

      Karmen ran a hand through her hair. "Me too." She whispered before sipping her drink. The room fell silent, and when she realized it was because of her, she waved her hand.

      "Please, don't get quiet on my account. I'm moving on. We all are."

      "Let's talk about this case." Alyssa changed the subject, and she shot the brunette a grateful look. The students moved on from her sad life and discussed the case for a good ten minutes before Wes stood.

      "I should go."

      Asher cooed, "Going to get it on with Meggy Weggy?"

      "That's not her actual name, right?" Michaela wondered aloud. "It's Megan or Margaret."

      Wes said something, but it was drowned out by Michaela questioning the name 'Meggy' even further while Asher laughed. Karmen forced a smile on her own face. She felt optimistic, being around her friends. It made her feel like she could go back to how she were before.

      Like she could be happy again.

~~~~~

      The following day was her first day in court in months. It was a different courthouse than the one she was used to, but a court nonetheless. She glanced around the halls, not stopping in her path to the room where Wes would get to play lawyer for the day. She had a feeling it would end up a disaster. She entered the room and slipped into the seat next to Alyssa. Both her and Connor greeted the blonde.

      "Ready to see this trainwreck?" Connor mumbled to her, and she nodded. It wasn't long after that when the room was full and Wes was making his opening statement.

      "Karim Assaf is a good man. He's a dedicated father, a kind neighbor. He steps up when help is needed."

      "This is so corny." Connor whispered.