Chapter One-Part One

Summer passed within the blink of an eye, and as soon as Karmen knew it, September had arrived and it was time to return to school. She had somehow made it through her first year of law school. Now the question was would she make it through a second?

      As she walked towards the university, she thought about how she'd reached four months without Frank. Since that day he had accepted her phone call, she'd heard absolutely nothing from him. She'd tried calling, even thought about asking her father for help in finding him. But somehow, not even Frank would be worth that torture. Especially not after what he did four months ago. She wasn't talking about his leaving, either.

      From the moment she turned on the news and saw that Wallace Mahoney had been shot, she knew who did it. She'd just pushed the fact to the back of her mind and didn't deal with it until now.

      "Karmen!"

      She graced her face with a smile as Alyssa ran up to her and embraced her.

      "I literally saw you three days ago. Why the hug?" She asked as she returned the gesture slowly.

      "Because I can. Looking good today." Alyssa complimented, pulling back.

      "Thanks. You too."

      "Thank you. You should have worn your glasses, Kar."

      She rolled her eyes. "You know I don't even wear them outside of my apartment." She glanced over Alyssa's shoulder. "Where's Connor?"

      Alyssa's brows furrowed and she turned around. "Uh...Connor?" She called. Karmen searched the area around her, soon seeing the boy jogging towards the two.

      "Hey," he panted. "Sorry, I got caught up with some idiot."

      "You sure you're not just trying to avoid me?" Karmen teased.

      Connor smirked. "You got me."

      She huffed a laugh and focused her attention back on Alyssa. "I guess we should get going."

      "Let's go. Another year of hell." Alyssa sighed, linking arms with Karmen and walking towards the university building.

      "Try to keep up!" Karmen exclaimed to Connor, who scoffed jokingly. They reached Annalise's new classroom quickly. She flinched as Asher suddenly appeared in front of her and Alyssa, a large grin on his face.

      "Hey, hey!"

      She subconsciously tuned him out as he began ranting about their seats. Karmen checked the chart, slightly disappointed she'll no longer be next to Alyssa. She found her spot on the second highest row near the far left. What made a wicked smile come to her face was when Connor dropped his stuff on the seat below her.

      "Oh, this is going to be fun."

      Connor looked up at her in defeat. "Great. This year is going to be terrible."

      "You bet it is. For you, at least. Where's Lys?" She scanned the crowd, and Connor pointed her out. Alyssa was all the way on the first row to the right. Karmen left her belongings on her seat and walked towards her friend's spot. Connor trailed behind her, and when they reached Alyssa, Karmen chirped,

      "Guess who gets to torment Connor all year!"

      Alyssa laughed. "Where are you, above him?"

      "Yup." The two girls high-fived. Connor exhaled deeply and left them, strolling towards the staircase. Alyssa and Karmen followed. She saw Asher, Wes, and Laurel talking amongst each other.