"You mentioned a recruit?"

She imagined Tom smiling maniacally at his Knights while twirling his wand almost threateningly.

"Indeed I did."

"Um." There was a shuffling of feet. "May I ask where he is?"

Tom clicked his tongue. "Patience, Avery. She'll be here in just a moment."

The groups started at this, nearly choking on their saliva.

"She-?" One of the Knights squeaked. "You recruited a girl?"

However Tom did not have the chance to answer him as Hermione chose that exact moment to make her entrance. She opened her door, to reveal herself to the group in the common room. The Knights wore horrified looks, particularly Abraxas and Alphard, whose face had gone white. She avoided their eyes as she scanned the so-called Knights of Walpurgis.

Abraxas Malfoy.

Alphard Black.

Reinhard Lestrange.

Evan Rosier.

Lorcan Avery.

Antonin Dolohov.

And Theodenn Nott

No girls.

"Knights, I present to you Hermione Granger. The newest member of our club," Tom Riddle announced. His mouth formed a sharp grin as his eyes examined her face. He motioned for her to stand next to the tall form of the Malfoy heir who was glaring daggers at the side of her head.

"But she's a blood traitor!" Lestrange cried while pointing an accusatory finger at Hermione. "They're just as bad as mudbloods, my Lord!"

Hermione noticed how Abraxas and Alphard's body had gone rigid with his comment.

"And a girl," Dolohov sneered quietly.

Hermione scowled.

Tom tilted his head to the side. "And how would you know she's a blood traitor, Lestrange?"

"She's been spending time with those—" Lestrange stopped just to glance at Abraxas before continuing bitterly, "with Hawthorne. Her whole family are blood traitors! Haven't you seen? "

"You think I am blind then?" Tom's voice was soft but the unheard threat in his voice was as clear as glass.

Lestrange paled but he continued on. "N-no, my Lord. That's not what I meant. I only meant that blood traitors are not allowed to join our cause."

Tom hummed. "When have I ever given the impression that I care about your opinion on who I recruit."

"B-But, my Lord!" Lestrange protested. "This isn't right! She is just as foul as mudbloods and she is a female. She doesn't belong in our cause!"

There was an eerie silence that followed his words. Lestrange's eyes grew wide, terrified and Hermione basked in the knowledge of him realising his mistake.

Tom Riddle's cruel laugh pierced the quiet and it made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. He twirled his wand threateningly between his long fingers and Lestrange eyed it fearfully. If it was possible, the temperature inside the common room felt as if it had dropped several degrees even as the fireplace was still burning. The other Knights dared not to breathe.

"You dare tell me what is right?" Tom asked, the smile on his face turning into sneer, so unfitting for a face like his.

"I-I apologise, m-my Lord," Lestrange's voice quivered but Hermione did not miss the way his jaw hardened and his fist curled tightly even as he shrunk back in fear. The large silver ring adorned with an emerald stone on his middle finger glinted in the light.