Chapter 7 - The Proposal

Awestruck.

That can be one word used to explain Babhruvahana's state when he first saw his uncle, the king of Dwaraka, Shri Krishna. Everything about the divine man left the young king awestruck. He couldn't find words that can capture the beauty of the greatest of the Yadavas. Twinkling eyes filled with a cocktail of love, warmth and mischief - a combination which Babhru thought to be impossible - embraced every person he glanced at, with a sense of belonging and safety. His bow shaped lips curved into a charming smile, enough to put any person's heart to ease.

Flowers bloomed, birds chirped enthusiastically, cuckoos sang eagerly. If heard closely, one could notice the peacocks in the nearby fields singing loudly and probably dancing too. It seemed as if every single part of the world is at it's best trying to impress the protector of the universe. The sun shone brightly making the dark skin of the lord glow even brighter. The contrasting white tilak on his dark skin reached across his forehead and escaped under the crown. The peacock feather on the bejeweled crown swayed in the wind adding to the unique charm of the divine king.

As the lotus feet of the lord touched the palace grounds, the helpers showered him with scented flowers making him close his eyes taking in the fragrance. As his eyes opened, his orbs met the onyx ones of Babhruvahana. After the initial traces of recognition washed away, mischief set in his eyes before they shifted to the king of Hastinapur, leaving the son of Arjun to wonder what his uncle has in store for him. As the formalities and pleasantries followed, only one thought stuck in Babhru's mind. His uncle, Shri Krishna, is a lot more striking than people described him to be. He somehow knew that his first proper interaction with his uncle, is not going to be a smooth one. 

After the grand welcome, Babhru stayed back and watched as the royals proceeded inside the palace

After the grand welcome, Babhru stayed back and watched as the royals proceeded inside the palace. A nudge in his ribs turned his attention to his smirking sister. "So? What do you think of uncle Krishna?" she asks. The son of Chitrangada opens his mouth but ends up gaping like a fish unable to form coherent words to describe his feelings and thoughts. "It is okay. I felt the same when I first met him too. He has that effect on people where he leaves them speechless."

Smiling gratefully at his sister, he heads inside and perches himself in a corner of the room keenly listening to the conversations between the two kings regarding their kingdoms and admiring the newly arrived king for his intellect. He remembers his mothers mentioning about the unique way of administration in Dwaraka. Since he heard about it, he had been eager and curious to learn more about it. He decides to talk to Shri Krishna regarding this after dealing with Suthanu's wedding proposal. The proposal. Another topic that lingered constantly in the back of his mind. Brushing it aside, he steels his focus back to the conversation.

***********************************

Striding through the hallways, Babhru attempts to get a hold of his nerves and prepare himself for the conversation ahead. As the private garden draws closer, his pace slows down as he stretches to check if the long shadows cast by the setting sun are aiding him in any way. His ears caught some workers talking about the king of Dwaraka leaving the palace for some work in the morning. Glancing at the orange tinted sky, he hopes that the king is back by now. However, the lack of any footman at the garden's entrance washes his hopes away. Turning around, his steps halt as voice sounds from the garden.