Chapter 7 | maeve reads smiles. her friend reads books detailing murder.

Start from the beginning

Since Ancient Runes took place right after lunch and Maeve usually arrived early to class so she could sneak in a couple of letters on the desks of some of the students, she had to watch with a frown as Peter just stared at his friends as they walked into the class while carrying laughter with them with a crestfallen expression on his face. He regularly insisted on walking his friends to their classes although he personally couldn't attend them and waited until they were all seated before he left. It was very pitiful, to be honest.

For the past seven years, Maeve had been attempting to build up Peter's confidence. He was pastel on art, the melody of a song and Maeve was sure that if Peter had been sorted into Hufflepuff, his fellow badgers would have showered him in love, compliments, hugs and warm, cosy blankets.

But, Peter had been sorted into Gryffindor— the home of the brave and chivalrous. He was an open book but everybody around him was illiterate. He was a masterpiece of a person but people in general —including her— tend to not recognise such art unless it was specifically pointed out and the meanings were deciphered.

And that brought Maeve into penning down cheerful "you can do it! you're amazing!" notes to Peter again, trying to quickly finish one of the notes before Peter could leave.

Dear Peter,

It's perfectly okay to be nervous, anxious or scared. After all, courage isn't the absence of fear but doing the right thing regardless of it and confidence isn't the absence of insecurity but knowing you have real worth despite it. You were sorted into Gryffindor for a reason, and the hat never lies. So don't doubt yourself over the pettiness of others. I believe in you!

Love,

Somebody.

Quickly folding the note, Maeve rushed towards Peter, who had just offered a vacant smile and was a few steps along the corridor.

"Peter!" She chased after him and he turned around, surprised and bewildered that somebody had called his name.

"Maeve?" he quizzed in his squeaky voice before he cleared his throat, hoping to conceal his shock. "Hey, Maeve. How are you?"

"I'm doing well, thank you for asking," Maeve responded with a smile as she stood in front of him. "What about you?"

"I'm also nice," Peter replied before awkwardly shifting on his feet, his cheeks flushing. "So, um, what can I do for you?"

"Nothing, really. I just noticed a note slip from your pocket as you exited the classroom." Maeve handed him the note that she just wrote, applying a confused look on her face.

Something flashed across Peter's eyes as he quickly took the note from her and pocketed it, a faint smile fleeting across his face. "Thanks, Maeve," he said before muttering quieter, "I hadn't even known that Somebody had given me a note."

Before Maeve could open her mouth to answer, the shuffling sound of busy feet came loudly behind them, alerting Maeve and Peter that since students were filling into the Ancient Runes classroom, it was about to begin soon.

"Sorry," Maeve said softly. "But I have to go. I'll talk to you later?"

"You have plans to work on today's transfigurations assignment with Remus, Sirius and James, right? The four of us always study together, so we can meet then," Peter said kindly.

"Right." Maeve smiled. "Bye, Peter. I'll see you in a few hours."

"Bye, Maeve," Peter said, one hand clutching his pocket greatly; as if to protect a treasure.