Chapter 16 | maeve hates thieves. and rumours.

---------------------> MAEVE POSSESSED A SKIP IN HER STEPS as she patrolled the shadow-cloaked hallways that night, the basket with four bowls of chocolate pudding swinging from back and forth as she strolled

---------------------> MAEVE POSSESSED A SKIP IN HER STEPS as she patrolled the shadow-cloaked hallways that night, the basket with four bowls of chocolate pudding swinging from back and forth as she strolled. After seeing her distraught disposition, Halley and Kate had strategised with Maeve ways that they could deviate the spotlight of suspicion away from her, promising to explain it to Max and Bruce when Maeve left for patrols.

Halley, in her true Halley-ness, stole one of Maeve's unused journals and a full pot of black ink, dipped her owl-feather quill in and started listing various reasons why Maeve could not be Somebody, despite reality juxtaposing it; reasoning that they should use her list and subtly drop comments about it to other people.

Kate had hummed songs by Celestine Warbeck the majority of the time while Maeve had alternated listening between the scratching of Halley's quill and Kate's soothing voice.

In the end, they even came up with a contingency plan that if anyone points to Maeve being Somebody, either one of their friends would instead claim to be Somebody to divert the direction of everyone's attention.

With her most dominant worry dissolving into flecks filed into the back of her mind, Maeve felt lighter.

James, when he crossed paths with her when she began patrolling, even commented positively on that, telling her he was happy that she was happy. Given how earlier that day, he had caught her hugging a pillar, Maeve supposed James must have been relieved seeing the light in her eyes rather than the twinkle prophesying descending insanity.

Maeve bounced as she entered the Astronomy tower, twirling and humming before setting the basket down at the spot they usually sat at.

Regulus crossed the archway a moment later. "You're looking more annoyingly cheerful than usual," he noted.

Maeve swivelled to face him, wearing a blinding smile. "Regulus! Hello! Today is a wonderful day, wouldn't you agree?"

"I have ambivalent feelings regarding today," Regulus responded, walking closer to where she was standing.

"Homework?"

"And tests."

"How lovely,"

"What happened to you?" Regulus asked curiously, referring to her cheerfulness.

Maeve gestured to the basket placed beside her as if it was the answer to all his questions. "I'm fortunate enough to be able to eat chocolate pudding today, so I'm happy. It's the little things that count."

"How do you seemingly possess an endless supply of chocolate puddings?"

"Can you keep a secret?"

"No."

"That's alright." Maeve smiled, leaning closer to him and lowering her voice theatrically. "Have you ever heard of the legendary kitchens of Hogwarts?"