Chapter 8 | maeve had a puppy. she also had peace.

Start from the beginning

"In my defence, he was particularly large for a puppy and dad had refused to buy me a Quidditch broom. Plus, at least I attempted to be friendly with him." James met Maeve's eyes, a grin brightening his countenance over an inside joke. "The same, however, could not be said about you."

Maeve's lips shunned downwards. "In my defence, I was busy coughing, sneezing, rubbing my eyes and overall, being very allergic to Mr Puppy! Great name selection, by the way. Very creative."

James frowned. "What do you mean? You named Mr Puppy as Mr Puppy."

"No..." Maeve corrected slowly. "You named Mr Puppy as Mr Puppy."

James shook his head. "No, I'm pretty sure it was you who named him."

"And I'm absolutely confident in the fact that you named him."

"Well, I happen to be extremely--"

"--Okay, we get it. You both can't choose names for dogs!" Sirius interrupted, simultaneously amused and annoyed before he pointedly asked. "Now can we get back to the topic Somebody?"

"Why should we talk about that?" Maeve questioned rhetorically, voice getting higher with every word. "I mean, Somebody's choices should be their own. Why should we --or anybody-- object to Somebody writing letters? That is their liberty to do so. If you want to say, write letters then it is your freedom to choose who, what, why and how you write it. You cannot assert your views on anybody, that is wrong. Also, another thing, please respect everybody's opinion as long as it doesn't disrespect anybody's existence. Is that so hard to do?!"

The Marauders were wide-eyed and bewildered by Maeve's vent.

"Damn, Maeve, relax. It's not like we're talking about you," Sirius joked playfully.

James rolled his eyes fondly. "Hufflepuffs; am I right?"

"But you do have a point, Maeve," Remus commented thoughtfully. "We shouldn't judge Somebody for who they write for."

"Even if it is Snivellus," Sirius added.

"Even if it is Snivellus." Remus agreed.

"Wait..." This was said by a flabbergasted Lily Evans who had been attracted to their conversation due to Maeve's loud voice. All of them turned to where she sat beside Remus. "You all get letters from Somebody as well?" She questioned with wide eyes.

It was James who answered, smiling brightly as he nodded his head. "Yeah, we do. Everybody gets them. Even some who do not deserve it."

"He means Slytherins." Sirius elucidated lazily in explanation. "Somebody is indeed that much of a saint to write letters to the likes of them."

"Somebody isn't a saint." Maeve's statement was ignored by all of them.

Lily's face showed that she was deep in thought. "You know... I think I got my first letter from Somebody in the first year. I got another one recently. That must mean that Somebody is in our year, right?"

Remus nodded. "Yes, we've arrived at the same conclusion as well."

"Or, Somebody could be a teacher. It would serve as an additional explanation as to why everybody is receiving letters and such. It's also more likely." Maeve's in-put once again went unheard. She was really starting to feel invisible.

"We also have a theory that the House-Elves are the ones delivering the letters," James stated. "We confronted them about it and although the House-Elves didn't confirm it, they did heavily deflect the question."

"Yes, that does make sense," Lily hummed, face brightening. "It does explain why nobody has actually seen Somebody. Somebody writes them and the House-Elves deliver them. That's incredibly smart of them." she paused. "Is Somebody a Ravenclaw?"