"Five people voted Chinese food? I voted turkey," Buck exclaimed.

"Traitor," Mariana whispered under her breath as her eyes sought out her boyfriend. "Eddie told me he was voting Chinese but I know he voted burgers."

"The falafel place got more votes than turkey," Bobby said. "Y'know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna switch my vote to Chinese. I'm just not up to cooking Christmas dinner this year."

"Good. Now where is that little liar?" Mariana growled, spinning on her heels in search of her Texan. "Edmundo! Ven aquí!"

The taller man swore under his breath and ducked past Hen, bolting towards the stairs as Mariana picked up her steps.

///

The last few notes of the final song of Midnight Mass, which was really at ten, curled up into the ceiling of the church and Mariana let her lips fall shut, her hand coming up to card her fingers through Christopher's curls. Eddie glanced over at his girlfriend, watching as she gently pulled her coat up around the sleeping boy's shoulders. He gently touched a hand to her back and she raised her head to look at him, her dark curls spilling down and around her shoulders as big, brown eyes blinked up at him.

"Pepa and Abuela will take him with them so we can go to the house without having to get up even earlier to take him over. It might be easier on him," he explained. She nodded tersely, a flash of sadness passing over her eyes. He tucked some of her hair behind her ear and pressed a kiss to her temple.

"I know, mariposa. We get next year, though."

"That better be a promise," she threatened weakly. "And you better not break it."

"Never, sweetheart."

Eddie scooped up Christopher and carried him to Pepa's car. He settled him in the backseat and buckled him before dropping a kiss onto the top of his head. Turning around, he found his aunt hugging Mariana tightly and whispering something to her. A shy smile broke across Mariana's lips and she nodded as they pulled apart. Pepa hugged Eddie next as Abuela embraced Mariana and too soon were they leaving in Eddie's truck.

"This isn't the turn home," she mumbled, her eyes being drawn away from her phone as she glanced around at the dark streets around them. He wordlessly offered her a small smile and pulled one hand away from the wheel, resting it on her thigh. Mariana settled back in her seat, a knowing gleam in her eye as he turned down one particular road.

"Eddie," she breathed as he pulled the truck into the parking lot and pulled the stick into park. He reached into the backseat and pulled out a bouquet of flowers, extending them to her as tears gathered in her eyes.

"It's only fair that you get to see your family on Christmas Eve," he said softly.

They walked silently towards the Ramirez plot but he knew she was still present based on how tightly she squeezed his hand. He raised their entwined hands to his lips and kissed the back of her hand as they stopped in front of the headstones. Mariana pulled away from him to distribute the flowers amongst the graves before she returned to his side, seeking his warmth and strength.

"Do you mind if I talk to them?" he asked her, running his hand up and down the length of her spine. She shook her head and tucked her head under his chin, brown eyes staring at the names etched before them.

"Mr and Mrs Ramirez, Senora Ramirez, Luis and Jess, I know we've met before but I want to introduce myself again. I'm Eddie, the man blessed to be cared for by Mariana. Her heart is so big and kind and to have her in my life is an honor. She loves my son so much and...I can't imagine not having her in my life. This year proved that. It's been a hard year and I almost lost Mariana too many times.

It's made me realize that I love her. I love her more than life itself and it's such an honor to be able to say that. She deserves to be loved by someone who can give her the world and I...I hope I'm the person who can do that. And I don't care if she can't say the words back. Because I can love her enough for the both of us."

Mariana choked out a sob and pressed a hand to the side of his neck as she buried her face in the crook of his neck. Her body trembled against his and he wrapped his arms around her tighter.

"I love you, Mariana Belicia Ramirez. In every way possible and in any way you'll have me."

"I can't imagine life without you and Christopher. I can't...you mean the world to me."

He fished the small velvet box out of his pocket and extended it to her. Mariana's eyes widened almost comically wide and she glanced between it and him. He grinned and opened it, revealing a key nestled among the fabric.

"You told me your lease is up for renewal in January. You're barely there and half of your stuff is at my place. You call it home. Move in permanently?"

"Shit, Eddie, you sure know how to give a girl a heart attack," she breathed out. "I'd love to move in. I'd love to spend every morning and night with you and Chris."

He kissed her sweetly, their grins preventing them from truly kissing but they were too giddy to care. He stroked his thumb across her cheekbone and dipped down to steal a proper kiss from her.

"Ready to go home?" he asked. She nodded, a flush of heat spreading across her cheeks and down her neck. The second they were in the car and away from the graves, Mariana turned her head to look at him with an innocent expression.

"We don't have to be at the station until six and it's only eleven," she mused.

"What do you want to do?"

"Well, I figured I could pick some stuff up from my apartment if I'm going to be moving in and I'm not tired at all."

"What could you possibly have left at your place?" he teased, interlacing his fingers with her. She grinned and shrugged.

"I have this one lingerie set that Crystal bought me once in hopes I would use it. Never been worn. Maybe we should try it out tonight."

They were lucky there were on a relatively abandoned road because he instinctively jerked to a stop, his wide eyes staring at her in shock.

"Only if you want to, babe. It's all up to you and I don't want you to feel pressure at all," he reminded her but his voice was tight and hoarse.

"I know I'm ready. Because I know that the fact you've waited this long for me and you are still questioning means that you care. And that means a lot to me."

He leaned across the console to capture her lips in a searing kiss, only breaking away so he could catch his breath. "Fuck, I love you. Screw the lingerie, I want you anyway you look."

"Really?"

"Baby, when you're sweaty and covered in ash from a fire...fuck."

She let out a startled laugh and grabbed the collar of his shirt, pulling him in for another kiss. "Take me home, Mr Diaz."

She didn't have to ask him twice.