Chapter 1

Imagine. I hate that word. People only use that word when they're life sucks and all they can do is fantasize about it being better. I should know because I am one of those people. I imagine having a life I actually want to live. Like all of the coming of age movies that make us realize that we're not important and will never have a happy ending.

In my imagination I'm popular, thriving, and in love. I don't know with who but probably someone like Danny Zuko from grease. A bad boy with a soft spot for his lover. I know Danny was kind of toxic but I'm willing to overlook that fact because he's hot. Anyways, back to my blabbering. I'm a senior in high school and hate school. I always say that I'll drop out and become a stripper but my 4.0 average says otherwise.

One of the only good things about my life is being a cheerleader. No it's not because of the popularity. Honestly I don't even think people know I'm on the team. I mostly keep to myself and the only person I can stand is Claudia. I met her at a tumbling class in the 7th grade and since then she became one of my closest friends.

Cheerleading is the only way I get away from my strict, stuck up mother. She doesn't let me go anywhere and barely spends time with me. Miss big time boss Woman constantly brings spoiled old dudes into our home who think they will be my new "step daddy ". She's a hard core drunk and doesn't seek help. She's been that way ever since my father's accident. In my dreams I imagine my dad is still alive and is as lovely as the day I last saw him. I just really wish-

"Hey Pop Pops", Owen exclaims from around the corner.

One of the things I mostly dislike about my mother was the name she gave me, Poppy Pace. Everyone gives me stupid nicknames because It's the weirdest name to ever exist. She claims it matches my spring aesthetic but i don't get it.

"Owen...you know how much I hate that name", I groaned.

He's been my best friend since he declared his love for me in the 2nd grade. I always thought he would be my first boyfriend but he changes girls like he changes his clothes.

"What do you want Jones I was busy thinking about the life I didn't ask to live ",I murmured.

"Wow Pops your so dramatic",he joked. He gives me the biggest smile before realizing he came over to tell me something."Oh and I forgot to tell you I can't pick you up tomorrow my girlfriend doesn't like a posse...",he states in almost a whisper.

"But you always pick me up and this is the last first day we'll have together..."I complain.

It's almost like I'm the one who fell in love with him and not the other way around.

I decide to give up and say,"You know what it's all good I'll just take my motorcycle."He was obviously thrown off by my words and takes a step back.

" Pops are you okay you haven't gotten on that thing since...",he starts to say but I cut him off.

"I'm just fine actually and you don't have to worry", I calmly state.

At this point it's normal for one of my only friends to abandon me but I don't care.I get up to leave yet he doesn't stop me. I decide after that it's time to go inside and get ready for tomorrow.

I wake to the horrendous sound of my iPhone alarm precisely 5:15. My clothes are already ironed so all I have to do is brush my teeth, eat, and relax. I put on ripped jeans and a plain white baggy shirt. I put on my leather jacket that reminds me of my favorite movie, add jewelry, and get ready to leave. I used to dress more girly to impress my mom but over time I've realized I don't need to satisfy anyone else but myself.

I put on my helmet, start the motor, and try to leave as fast as I can. I pullout the driveway and hear my mom yelling,"POPPY LILATH PACE THAT IS NOT LA"- I turn up the music so I don't have to hear her screeching.

The ride to school was the most calm I've been in a while. I forgot how much I missed it. I pull into a parking space and stop the engine to see eyes on me. That's the reason why I never rode my bike to school- the attention. As I start to walk to the door I see Owen's new girlfriend and can't believe my eyes.