Inside of Ehrmich District | Part 33

Beginne am Anfang

"Hange!" I yelled out in concern, leaning forward more as I put my hands onto the seat beside my hips.

"Let me finish Armin!" Hange exclaimed, ignoring my statement before continuing to talk, "As is stands, we'll be appointed to fill the hole in Wall Rose. That is if we can find the perfect boulder to plug it. But if...But if Eren, in his transformed state, could use the Titan's hardening ability to seal the hole in the wall..." Hange paused, allowing us to fill in the last part of her theory ourselves. It was plausible...but even with that plan, we didn't even know how to get Eren

"Use me...to seal the hole?" Eren whispered under his breath, bewildered by the idea, however, the all-familiar tone of determination in his voice never wavered.

"It should be made of the same material. And seeing how the hardened section didn't evaporate, even after you reverted back from a Titan...it's possible..." Hange's observations filled my soul with hope, even if it was false hope that relied on little evidence, it was worth a shot.

"I think it's worth the risk to try. And assuming it does work, reclaiming Wall Maria is feasible too. Ah--and up until now, we've had to transport a large quantity of materials and supplies when traveling outside of the walls. That's why the need for outposts past the wall limit our progress. But if we don't have to accommodate supply wagons...we could quickly make our way to Shiganshina...and...What if we carried out the plan at night?" Armin suggested, to which I fully agreed with. For a rookie, he was quite intelligent. I felt the corners of my lips slightly turn up as--he even has to potential to become a commander. 

However, although Armin's plan was out best shot in being able to sneak back to Wall Maria, they were forgetting the most important part of this operation. Could Eren even do this? Although Eren had a keen sense of purpose and will to fight, that isn't the only thing we needed from him. In order for this plan to work, we needed him to be able to harden his skin which we didn't have a single clue how to do. Not to mention, what if Eren couldn't do it? Judging from how the three different Titan's had different characteristics about them, did that influence what kind of power they had as well? Maybe being able to harden your skin was an isolated power that came solely with the Female Titan. 

My mind trekked for miles, doubts clouding my mind and I wish I wasn't like this, but I couldn't help but worry and be cautious about every single thing. 

"At night?" Hange asked, tilting her head a bit in the process as she leaned back.

"Yes. During the night, the Titans can't move." Armin replied, a new confidence filling his voice as he spoke that I'd not heard before. It wasn't like last time when he accused Annie, his voice was awfully unsteady and I could hear guilt slip into his voice as he explained why he thought she was the Female Titan, but this time, he was sure. He knew what he wanted to do, and had a plan to follow.

"I see..." Hange said as she brought her hand up to her chin. "If the group was small enough, you could sneak all the way to Wall Maria. The current situation is as bad as it gets, but...we still have a glimmer of hope." Hange was right, this was our only hope...I needed to stop overthinking and just trust that we can pull this off.

"Yes, but remember..." I intervened, my eyes trailing towards Eren's, "...it all depends on whether Eren can seal the hole or not." 

Eren's eyes slightly widened, I felt a bit bad for him as we threw, yet, another harsh responsibility onto his shoulders. 

"I realize asking this hardly seems fair, but...do you think you can do it?" Hange turned her gaze towards Eren as she asked Eren, causing everyone to draw their gaze towards him as well. It felt like the wind subsided for the moments of silence that passed as we sat in silence awaiting for Eren's answer. His gaze was slightly shifted down, eyes widened a bit as he processed the information given to him...I haven't known Eren for a long time, however, I knew he hated to disappoint those around him who were counting on him, which could lead in him answering "yes" under pressure, but it wasn't like he really had a choice in this matter...did he?