The 57th Expedition | Part 22

It was the next morning and Levi and I woke up early to discuss the plans for the upcoming expedition. Our squad traveled off to somewhere more secluded to discuss our plans since Erwin had ordered for us to. Erwin was keeping something from us, and it seems he wants us to keep our position in the formation secrete from the other soldiers as well. This expedition was going to be more of just routing a path to Shiganshina, but why wouldn't Erwin tell me what was going on?

I shook off my thoughts, readjusting to my surroundings. I drew my gaze to my squad who hovered in a semi-circle over the formation Erwin planned out. I woke up earlier that morning to review the plans that I was supposed to read last night, so everything turned out well. 

Levi and I waited by the horses while the rest of the squad explained our positioning during the next expedition to Eren. We would be placed in the back rear end of the formation, which was the safest spot in the formation. Although I felt that Erwin was holding back a lot more information from me, currently, all I really knew was that no one knew about our position besides our squad and Erwin's. I knew he had a plan for this expedition and it wasn't simply just mapping out a route towards Shiganshina. Erwin was keeping something from us, and it seems almost everyone was in the dark as well. This expedition was going to be more of just routing a path to Shiganshina, but why wouldn't Erwin tell me what was going on?

I turned away from the horses and listened into their conversation.

"Did you understand the meaning of the Commander's question back then?" Gunter asked in a hushed voice, but I still caught it. I slightly glanced over at them and saw that Eren grew a bit surprised at Gunter's question. A small memory flashed through my mind of that day...Levi led me out of the site where the two titans had been murdered, and before I left, I saw Erwin hovering over Eren as he asked him numerous questions, however, I was too far to hear and Levi didn't give me the chance to leave either. 

"Did any of you understand?" Eren asked, raising his gaze towards the other members. They all shook their heads in disapproval. 

"I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure. That said, I--" Oluo tried to butt in, however, someone cut him off before he could say anything more.

"This operation may have another objective. However, the Commander decided to keep it hidden from everyone. So we should focus on pulling this off without incident. Trust in the Commander." Gunter explained, peeling the piece of paper off from the floor and rolled it up as he stood. A small smirk raised on my lips is amusement as I listened to Gunter. He was sharp as usual. I turned away from the squad and back towards my horse. I brought my hand up to her nose and slightly rubbed her muzzle, she seemed to enjoy it as she moved along with my movements. 

"Hai." Eren replied breathily as he watched Gunter walk away. 

"This concludes today's training. Prepare to head back." Gunter ordered and we all then prepared to head back to the base. 

~~~

Hours had passed since this morning and an upcoming expedition was no excuse to Levi for not cleaning every inch of the base. I was stationed outside the stables with Oluo as Eren was cleaning up the horse shit inside. It reeked and I felt a bit bad as I peered in to see Eren grimace at the smell a bit. Levi was in there too, but he was tending to his own horse. 

I directed my gaze away as I heard the sounds of multiple footsteps approach the stables. 

The new recruits were being shown around I supposed as I saw the crowd looking around at the different smaller buildings. Two of them caught my attention. Mikasa and that blonde boy were standing near the end of the crowd and they seemed to notice me as well.