it's always been him

Start from the beginning

Draco says nothing as he begins to walk forward. You can see his wand clutched tightly in his fist, his knuckles turning white. As he walks, he's not looking at Voldemort, but at you. His eyes – those grey eyes – are all yours as he walks forward.

And you understand perfectly in that moment. Because Harry Potter was never in love with you.

It was Draco Malfoy.

As Voldemort follows Draco's gaze, they rest on you. A look of understanding dawns in those cruel, red eyes.

And he is furious.

The Death Eaters are beginning to understand as well.

"My Lord – " Bellatrix begins in astonishment.

"Silence!" Voldemort roars, his voice vibrating around the room. "So," he begins, sounding out of breath like he just came from battle, "Young Draco. It's you."

"My Lord, he doesn't mean it, spare him. He never loved the girl - " Lucius Malfoy begins desperately.

Voldemort flicks his wand and Lucius slams into the stone wall.

Draco's hand holding on to his wand is beginning to shake slightly, but he doesn't move.

"I admit, I would've never expected it," Voldemort says. His voice is quiet, but it is trembling with anger, and it is terrifying. "I suppose she has twisted your mind, led you down some dark path. I am... disappointed. You have surrendered to their side and in doing so, you put yourself in danger."

You can't feel anything, all your senses seem to have gone numb –

"I will tell you this now, Draco," He hisses, "I do not take betrayal lightly."

Voldemort raises his wand. "Cruico!"

Draco is sent to the ground and his screams of pain echo throughout the long hall like some terrible haunt of a ghost.

And it pierces you more effectively than a sharp knife. You begin to rush forward, but Bellatrix draws you back towards the wall, putting her hand tightly over your mouth. You're shaking uncontrollably, and tears are splashing down your face.

Voldemort shows his fury as he mercilessly turns his wand on Draco again and again. His screams reverberate around the walls as he twitches on the floor in pain.

He's just a boy...

You can see him shaking from the ground.

"I don't believe in fate if that's what you're talking about."

"Crucio!" Voldemort says over and over again.

"I won't let go of you."

Voldemort is infuriated, and his wand slashes the air repeatedly.

"I know you don't believe me, but you'll see soon enough."

His sounds of pain ring throughout the Manor.

"I know you might forgive me in the future and I know I wouldn't deserve it."

There's a sudden shout as Narcissa bursts towards the center of the room, finally escaping the two Death Eaters holding her back. She reaches out for her wand but Voldemort is quicker. In his anger, he slashes his wand at her and gives a loud bellow that no one can hear because everyone is too fixated on Narcissa.

There's a flash of green light and Narcissa drops to the floor.

And from then on, it's just chaos. The Death Eaters are beginning to Disapparate, Bellatrix is rushing to get to her sister and cursing anyone who gets in her way, and Voldemort is screaming, "Silence!" but no one listens to him.

As soon as Bellatrix releases you, you run forward and grab Draco's hand, lying near Voldemort's feet.

Before Voldemort can realize what's happening, Draco's hand tightens and twists in yours... and you're being compressed into darkness, but you can hardly breathe...the only real thing is Draco's hand in yours, even colder than usual... nearly lifeless...

Your feet slam against the ground. The air is cooler here and you just barely comprehend that you're standing outside of Hogwarts when Draco collapses into your arms.

"Mum..." he mumbles, and you feel a jolt of pain when you hear how weak he sounds.

"I know, Draco, I know," you say softly as he presses his full body weight onto you, forcing you to lean against the wall for support.

"She's – Mum, they took – "

They are flashes of light coming out from the Hogwarts windows and with a sudden burst of energy, Draco pushes you to the side as glass streams down the courtyard.

The Death Eaters have infiltrated Hogwarts.

"Can you walk?" You say loudly over the screams coming from inside the castle. "We need to get in – "

Draco takes a firm hold of your wrists, pinning you to the wall again as a shower of curses hit from overhead. "No, you're not going in – "

"I have to, all my friends are inside – "

"We need to Disapparate and leave," Draco begins.

"I can't just leave my friends – "

"You don't have a choice!" Draco shouts. "I can't lose – " He stops talking abruptly, as though he can't finish that line. You hear the hesitation and it breaks you, but there's no time to stop and think about it. 

"Please, I'll stay by your side. Just don't leave me okay?" You whisper, taking his hands into yours. With that, you pull him with you into the castle.

But the moment you step inside the throng of students and Death Eaters and teachers, his fingers slip away from yours and you're separated from him.