Ceres Tales- Curious Soul {Spike}

Curious Soul
- Ceres Tales -
{Spike}
.:+:.

This little esk was such a strange and curious fellow.... perhaps a bit lacking in the way of words and understanding, yes- but a very kind and tender soul nonetheless. There was not an ounce of ill-content to be found in this little esk's heart, everything about his energy was simply upbeat, and bright, so very, very innocent.

Ceres peered quietly down at the small creature, his shadow swallowing Spike up entirely and their eyes matched in something of a deadlock filled with wonder, intrigue, and question. Ceres had been keenly aware of something skittering among the protruding rocks and plants, following him out of sight as he made his way through the sand. Ceres knew he was being followed, and even on some level he knew it wasn't an animal like a mouse or rabbit, but he gave it little thought. He kept walking, stepping carefully through the rocks scattered among the sand and ever aware of some bush rustling there, or a tumble of stone here- eventually whatever it was would either lose interest or show itself, he was sure.... Though even after settling on that notion, Ceres' still found himself somewhat startled when something tumbled out into the center of his path in a ball of tangled limbs and pale green.

The little esk picked himself up, covered in dirt and bits of rock stuck in between the needles poking up from the cactus that seemed to serve as a tail, red eyes matching with Ceres' own and so very, very intent. Ceres stopped abruptly, his head tilting slightly at the new arrival and the smaller esk mimicked the motion, his head tilting just as Ceres' did. Ceres paused, tilting his head the other way and the little esk mirrored it again, obediently almost, but not so much as just... curious.

Ceres dipped his head down, lowering himself to be more eye level with the esk and bending a knee too. "Hello." Ceres greeted the little fellow pleasantly, the smaller esk perking slightly at the greeting. The fellow let out a little trill, the noise dancing on Ceres' mind, bright and happy and eager. Ceres' greeting seemed to come across well enough, though there was no verbal response to be had from the other esk.

Undeterred Ceres dipped his head further and nudged his muzzle underneath the smaller esk, helping him back up and on to his feet. Spike sat back on his haunches as Ceres drew away again, shifting to bend both knees now and settle against them before the smaller esk, the ocotillo's crowning Ceres' head rattling slightly as he moved.

"My name is Ceres." The larger esk hummed pleasantly, the smaller's eyes glittering slightly in recognition of the words and leaning in for it, just a bit. "And who are you, little one?" Ceres asked lightly,

"Spike...! Spike...!" This time there was a verbal response, and a slightly giddy one, not that Ceres' minded- nor did he mind when Spike sat up on his haunches, his front feet landing on Ceres' muzzle and Spike's bum (and cactus too) nearly wagging like that of a pup with too much energy.

"It is wonderful to meet you." Ceres hummed, earning another trill instead of words, Spike's paws patting up and down against Ceres' muzzle as the small fellow bounced up and down a bit. "What brings you out here today?" Ceres asked, not really so much in the hopes there would be an answer (given a lack thereof so far), but more out of habit. There wasn't much answer beside another round of trills and squeaks and the like- the little fellow quickly growing all the more excited with the question, and Ceres stayed still, yellow eyes gleaming with the burst in energy and anticipation coming from the esk. Among the trills and the bouncing up and down there was a stringing of the word 'play' being repeated over and over, and enough Ceres understood quite easily what Spike wanted. "You wish to play?" Ceres murmured lightly, "I think I can manage that, little one."

Ceres pulled his muzzle away from Spike softly, forcing him to drop back down onto the ground (though he was still bursting with energy) and Ceres lift his head again, twisting slightly as the blossoms sprouting from the bottom of Ceres' ocotillos shifted, and a small, dusky-pelted kangaroo rat climbed it's way down Ceres' muzzle carefully. At the base of the rat's spine and above it's tail a bundle of needles and a bright colored fruit had taken root- just the same as the many prickly pears dotting Ceres' body. Spike's attention immediately snapped to the sudden appearance of the kangaroo rat- Ceres' Familiar- the little esk's eyes gleaming and now absolutely bursting with excitement.