29| Crushed Heart

Start from the beginning

It's even worse than before.

When I open the front door, a girl is standing before me. I squint at her, trying to remember her name, because I can still remember her face and figure.

She has a shoulder-length black hair and chocolate eyes, dressed in a body-fitting peach shirt dress that accentuates her curves.

Then the name pops up in my head.

Vicky. One of the girls that I've fucked.

"Morning, Jake." She smiles, her voice soft. "I'm sorry that I didn't let you know beforehand that I was coming, but a surprise for the weekend isn't that bad, is it?" she teases.

"How?" I ask.

She shrugs. "Liam told me where you live."

Then she stares at me again before leaning closer to me, touching my chest.

"Come on, I missed you. How come you never answered my calls anymore, knowing we're in the same town now? Didn't you miss me too?" Her last sentence is barely a whisper, her breath tickling the skin on my neck.

The voice of the girl from my nightmare still echoes in my ear, "It hurts."

The cure to my death has come right before me, just when I need it.

"Of course." A smile touches my lips, making her eye me with a hopeful expression. "I missed you too, Vicky. I'm sorry. I've been busy with work."

I pull her closer to me, circling my arms around her waist.

She smiles, her fingers brushing across my cheek as she stares at me dreamily. And before I know it, our lips meet.

I look at the gourmet gift box in my hands after stepping out of the cab, a soft giggle escaping my lips

I look at the gourmet gift box in my hands after stepping out of the cab, a soft giggle escaping my lips. I've always wanted to cook for Jake, and now is just the perfect time to do it.

Earlier in my apartment, I prepared this box of savory snacks, which include buffalo chicken bread, mini tostadas and corn dog muffins.

This is not much, and I know that he's used to eating expensive foods, but I hope that he'll enjoy this homecooked meals.

I still remember our conversation yesterday, in which he asked us to be best friends.

"Well then, would you mind if I send you something to your house over the weekend?" I asked him. "Just think of it as a...thank you gift." I smiled, remembering how he'd saved me and risked himself for me.

He stared at me in surprise, and I could even see the excitement in his eyes. "What gift?"

I chuckled. "It's a secret."

He scrutinized me before a big smile crept on his lips. "Well then, I'll be waiting for it. I'll send you the address."

Little did he know that I would be coming here to bring it myself. Since I've cooked the meals, it would be fun if we can eat them together for breakfast, wouldn't it?

I want to thank him after what happened with Mark. I want to thank him for being there for me, for saving me.

He has helped me during difficult times.

My heart feels warm at that thought, and I stare again at the gourmet box. Will he like it?

I glance at the location he sent me on my phone and look around. His house should be around here.

While I'm walking down the pavement, I spot him step out of his house.

But a girl is standing in front of him. Abruptly, I stop in my track.

I watch as they talk, and then, my eyes widen as I see him kissing with her.

Turning on my heels, I walk back to the other direction. My heart is beating so fast.

What am I doing?

Clearly, I can't go in there while he's making out with that girl. That will be so damn awkward.

While my thoughts are still playing with my mind, I turn around the corner of the street, and that's when a bicycle speeds pass me, accidentally knocking my arm that I drop the box I'm holding.

I stare in disbelief, watching as the dishes I've prepared for hours scatter on the ground. Ruined.

Slowly, I bend down to pick them up, but it's useless. Again, what am I doing?

Something falls onto my cheek, startling me. Something wet and warm. My hand shoots to it, and I find myself shedding a tear.

Why am I crying?

It surprises me even more that while the sight of the ruined gift is right here before me, all I can see is the image of Jake kissing with the girl.

Why am I surprised? Have I not told myself before that he's a player?

Right. Even the girl is different from the one that I saw in the club.

I place my hand on my chest. What am I feeling? I shouldn't feel like this toward a friend.

Even a best friend shouldn't feel like this. Yes, we're just friends.

Nothing more.