29| Crushed Heart

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," she whispers, a happy tear escaping from the corner of her eye.

And I've never felt bliss and contentment so deep in my heart, a smile touching my lips as I stare at that beautiful sight.

The darkness begins to fade, replaced by a light coming through.

But then, it stops. Lais' eyes turn sad. Her once tears of joy are now replaced by sobs.

She's crying, and that sight pains me to the core. I can't even move, still struck by the sudden change.

"How--how could you do this to me, Jake?" She chokes, staring at me with tears streaming down her face, and I freeze, fear engulfing me.

It isn't her voice. It's different. Like a fraction. It's the one I've been hearing in my nightmares.

Everything around me begins to turn dark again, even darker than before. Until I can't see Lais again.

No. No. No. Please, stop.

I don't want to see it now. Not when I was with her.

The cries echo again in my ears. It's so clear, louder than the beats of my heart, which feels like exploding out of my chest.

"It hurts, Jake!" that voice rings again. But instead of whispering, the owner of the voice is now shouting, reminding me of the sin that I've committed.

I cover my ears with my hands, hoping that she will leave me alone, but I can still hear her. I can still hear her cries.

To my horror, I feel my neck wrapped by that pair of arms again, and something wet drops onto it. It's her tears.

Her sobs are so close and feel so real, to the point that it almost feels like I'm sobbing myself. I feel like falling to the bottom of an endless pit, so I hold on to her, my hand shaking as I feel them gripping her body.

And before I know it, I'm pounding into her, just like that night.

Mercilessly. With such cruelty.

Meanwhile, her sobs are getting louder and louder.

Then suddenly, I stop. This makes me taken aback. I did stop.

I can feel my hands cupping her cheeks, and when I look up, I freeze.

Because now, for the first time in my nightmares, I can see. Not only hear and feel. The girl is looking down, still crying, and I can't see her face.

Slowly, I lift her head so that she can face me.

And that's when blinding light consumes everything.

I sit up on my bed, panting. The sound of birds chirping fills my ears, and I know that morning has come.

I just had a nightmare. Again.

I stare down at my hands, which are shaking uncontrollably, and I bury my face in them. What have I done?

Is this the punishment because I've gone out of the boundary? How dare I forget who I really am? I'm a monster.

I don't deserve Lais' affection.

I don't deserve to be happy.

How could I, when that girl has been ruined by me?

My lips tremble, and a soft cry leaves them. That's when the doorbell rings.

Who could that be?

Slowly, I get up from my bed and wear my t-shirt before trudging downstairs, still trying to compose myself after having that nightmare again.