Chapter Seventeen - The Monster Within The Walls

Start from the beginning

I nodded. We snuck our way down to the common room, being sure as to not wake any students. The large door to the common room creaked loudly as we opened it. George shushed me playfully and I shushed him back.

Once we were out into the hall, George pulled out an old piece of parchment. It was the same one I'd seen that night Tonks and Hannah had run around the castle. The light from the few lit torches shone onto the parchment.

"Right then." George put the tip of his wand to the piece of parchment. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

And at once, thin ink lines began to spread like a spider's web from the point that George's wand had touched. They joined each other, they crisscrossed, they fanned into every corner of the parchment; then words began to blossom across the top, great, curly green words, that proclaimed:

Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs

Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers

are proud to present

THE MARAUDER'S MAP

It was a map showing every detail of the Hogwarts castle and grounds. But the truly remarkable thing were the tiny ink dots moving around it, each labeled with a name in minuscule writing.

There weren't many names, seeing how late it was. George's and I's names were next to the Hufflepuff common room, and Mrs.Norris, Filch's cat, and Filch himself could be seen roaming around on the second floor.

"George...this is." I said, astonished.

"Amazing, yes I know. I wouldn't use it around you if I wasn't so nervous about running into Filch. It's so late, it calls for the map." He said. He picked up a small cloth bag that I hadn't noticed was waiting for us outside of the common room.

"Where'd you get it?" I asked as we began to move down the hallway. Our small ink dots followed with us, keeping the map updated to real time.

"Filch's office. Back in Fred and I's first year. We wouldn't be half as good of the pranksters we are if not for this thing."

"Oh come on. Don't be so modest." I said, following George down a side hallway.

"No, I mean it. The fact that the map shows professor's in real time has saved our arses loads of times. Not to mention, this thing shows hidden passageways all over the grounds. Fred and I used to sneak out all the time and use them. We've snuck off to Hogsmeade loads of times."

"So that's where you disappear to half the time."

George looked at me and smirked. "Guilty as charged."

We  made our way through the hallways, as quietly as we possibly could with only our bare feet to hide our footsteps.

Hogwarts definitely had a different atmosphere this late at night. Instead of the usual warm, welcoming feel it normally had, the castle was mysterious and eerie.

"So what's the prank you want to pull anyway?" I asked quietly.

"Quite simple really. Stink bombs right after second period." George opened the small cloth bag from earlier, opening it to show off the dozens upon dozens of stink bombs that sat in the bag, waiting to be used.