Chapter Nine - The Curfew Chat

As we reached the school, Ron and Harry split off towards the Gryffindor common room.

Fred and George stuck around for a few minutes, talking about future pranks, but they eventually headed towards the Gryffindor common room as well.

I began to head back to my own common room when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Draco was standing there, uncomfortably.

"Yes?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"Thank you." He muttered it, but it seemed meaningful.

"For what?" I did my best to hide the rudeness in my voice, I didn't want to be a hypocrite and start needless drama.

"For standing up for me, of course."

"Oh." I hadn't even realized that that was what I had done. "Of course. I may dislike you, but I won't let someone accuse you of doing something wrong, when you're not."

Draco smiled for the first since I had met him, I smiled back and for a moment, I thought he may not be that bad after all.

"Maybe you should apologize for yourself then." He smirked.

I groaned. "And we were having such a nice moment too."

Draco laughed. "Maybe you aren't so bad after all Y/N."

That was the first time he had said my name. "Can we put all this detention business behind us?" I stuck out my hand, hoping he'd shake it in a truce.

He shook my hand. "I guess."

With that, he headed off towards the Slytherin common room. I realized that Draco wasn't a bad kid, just ambitious.

Getting the twins in trouble was a good way to give Slytherin a leg up in points. Everyone wanted to win the House Cup, so a few points here and there to chip off another house was a good plan.

My hatred for him was lessened a little, at least he'd gone out of his way to thank me, which was good in my book.

I made my way into the Hufflepuff common room and found Emmie sitting curled up next to the fire with a book, just as I had been that very same morning.

Emmie looked up and smiled as I took a seat next to her. "So, how was blowing up toilets with your 'just friends'?" She said, mocking Hannah's comment from earlier.

"Went about as I expected. It was fun, but Professor McGonagall caught the twins and deducted points. They've got detention now too."

"What a shame. Guess you won't be hanging out with them tomorrow then?" I hadn't even realized that.

"Guess not. But Hermoine was asking in Herbology if I'd study with her tomorrow, so I guess it works out."

"Mind if I come with? I'd like to study up on potions."

"Not at all!"

Emmie looked as though she was about to begin reading again when a very loud, shrill scream came from the girls dorm.

We exchanged a nervous look and rushed quickly into our dorm.

When we opened the door, we found Hannah atop her bed, shrieking. Hannah's and I's belongings were scattered about the room, unpacked yet not put away.

"Hannah, I thought you said you could handle this." I said, quickly beginning to clean up my own belongings.

"I was doing fine until that thing scared me!" Hannah pointed at my trunk, which was empty except for a white sheet.