Chapter Thirteen - The Night In The Tower

George held my hand as we snuck through the halls of the school.

We would stop at corners, peeking around them for Filch. Then, once the coast was clear, we'd continue on our way.

We snuck through the endless halls, George holding my hand the whole way, until we stopped in front of a wooden door on the first floor.

George let go of my hand, the warmth he'd provided leaving.

He pulled out his wand and put the tip of it on the door. "Alohomora." He whispered.

The door clicked. George pushed the door open, the door creaking as he did.

George slipped his hand back into mine. The warmth from his hand seemed to spread through my whole body.

George tugged at my hand and I followed him through the door.

The room we entered was dark, the only light in the room coming from the hallway.

Since I had a free, working hand, I pulled my wand out. "Lumos."

As the light from my wand illuminated the room a bit, I noticed how small the room was.

A set of spiral stairs loomed in front of us and that's when I understood why the room was so small. It was the stairwell of a tower.

I looked up. The stairs disappeared into the darkness, seemingly never ending.

"George, I don't know about this."

George stroked my hand with his thumb lightly. The gentle motion calmed my nerves a bit. "We'll take it slow. Deep breaths and don't look down." We began to climb slowly, just like George had said we would.

"That's not what I'm worried about." I said, sticking close to the wall. Unlike most staircases in the school, this staircase had no railing.

"What are you worried about?" George asked, still slowly leading us upwards.

"Falling." I stated matter of factly.

"I would never let you fall." His voice was calming and his words seemed genuine. In that moment, any worry I had of falling evaporated completely.

After what seemed like an eternity, yet somehow not long enough, we finally reached the top of the stairs. Just like at the bottom of the stairs, a wooden door sat in front of us.

"Nox." I put my wand away as George pushed open the door.

"Close your eyes."

"George I-"

"Come on Y/N. Don't you trust me?" I could almost hear the smirk on his face in the dark.

"Not in the slightest." I said jokingly."But just this once, I'll oblige your wishes." I smiled, even though I was sure George couldn't see it. I shut my eyes as George led me through the door.

I took small steps, putting my trust in George as he led me blindly into the room.

We stopped and George's hand slipped out of mine once again.

"I found this the other night. Open your eyes." I opened my eyes, trying desperately to adjust to the dark room. I looked around confused as to where I was. "Look up."

I tilted my head back and gasped.

The ceiling of the school's astronomy tower was open, revealing the massive expanse of stars. The stars twinkled in the night sky, giving the entire room a fairytale atmosphere.

It reminded me of times when my family would travel out to the country and my dad and I would lay outside, under the stars.

"George." I whispered. "It's beautiful."

"Thought you'd like it."

"Like it? I love it."

"You do?"

"Yes."

I stared at the stars, picking out constellations my dad had shown me how to recognize. I'd point them out and George would look up.

I'm not sure how long we stayed in the astronomy tower but I was sure that every time I snuck a glance at George, he wasn't looking at the stars.