Ch 6: Just what do you need to tell me?

Magsimula sa umpisa

It was rare for someone to just give him a present on a normal day just because something made them think of him. Scout was touched that (Name) had given him a gift like that. She didn't have to give him anything, and she could have spent her tickets on herself. Yet, instead she got him a gift just because she wanted to.

Heck, she went beyond that and even got him a little crown too. Granted, the crown she gave him was part of a joke but it was a joke that Scout could appreciate. Said crown was now sitting on coffee table looking like some sort of strange table centerpiece. It was rare to have someone just give him a gift out of the blue. It was just as rare to find a girl who shared a similar sense of humor as him.

'(Name) really is pretty great,' Scout thought absentmindedly.

She was caring, she was generous, and she had a pretty great sense of humor. Scout couldn't help but think she was rather adorable too. Scout shook his head as he quietly walked over to the bags full of the new clothing that (Name) had brought for him. He hadn't known (Name) for long, but he was already getting pretty attached to her. Scout wasn't exactly slow to warm up to people especially when they were willing to put up with his energy, and general attitude.

With that said he was always a bit slow to form an actual attachment to people. He was all too used to having people abandon him or leave him behind because they thought he was too annoying or energetic. What few friends he made during his school days quickly drifted away once they graduated from high school, and no longer had school to force them together.

Not helping matters was his mother's revolving door of boyfriends that entered and exited his family's life quicker than they could blink. Scout loved his Ma. She was an amazing woman who sacrificed a lot to take care of her children. With that said even Scout could admit that his Ma had pretty awful taste in men. They always ended up running for the hills when they learned how many kids she had, or they stuck around long enough to get to know the boys only to decide in the end that the family life wasn't for them and they ghosted Scout's entire family. After getting his hopes up about having a father figure only to have said hopes smashed over and over again Scout learned to be weary of growing too attached to someone too quickly.

The fact that he had a lot of friends just dump him for greener pastures didn't really help either. He was at least somewhat attached to his team, but he had been living and working with them for years now. Sort of hard not to get attached to someone when you lived with them for years. It helped that thanks to their contracts with the Reliable Excavation Demolition company Scout knew that no one could just drop out of the war, and run off to who knows where. Of course there was no telling what would happen if the war ended, or if any of the guys decided to not renew their contracts once they were over.

Sometimes when Scout couldn't fall asleep he wondered if any of his teammates would bother to stay in contact with him. It was a question he never had a real answer to. It was also a question that Scout sort of didn't want an answer to. His luck with holding onto old friends had been less than great.

At any rate Scout didn't typically get attached to people all that quickly. Yet, his usual weariness was tossed right out the window for (Name).

'Yeah, great idea get attached to the girl from another world,' A rather negative part of himself grumbled in his head. 'Get attached to the girl you are going to have to leave behind when you go back home to your own world.'

Scout winced a bit at that thought as he picked up his clothes, grabbed his cellphone, and silently left the room.

As he stepped out into the hallway the more hopeful part of him thought 'Well, maybe I won't have to leave her behind forever. If Engie can figure out how to get me back home then he could figure out a way for me to still visit her, or to have her visit me.'