Ch 5: Complicated feelings, and one very complicated secret...

After you guys left the mall the rest of your day went by pretty quick. Finding a good air mattress had taken a bit of searching, but you found one after searching two stores. It was small enough to fit in your room, but big enough that Scout had enough room to be comfortable. Heck, it was big enough to comfortably fit two people on it. He was happy with it, and getting the air mattress didn't cost you an arm and a leg so everything was great as far as you were concerned. While you were out you also got Scout a pair of headphones to use when he wanted to listen to music on his phone. You liked Tom Jones well enough, but there was only so many times you could listen to What's New Pussycat before you started going insane.

As for grocery shopping it went pretty smoothly. Scout did occasionally ask about some food brand that either no longer existed, or just plain ol' didn't exist at all in your world. He shrugged it off pretty well when you informed him that whatever he was asking about didn't exist, or they stopped making it sometime back in the 80's or somewhere around there. Most of the time you were able to find a substitute for what he was asking for that he was satisfied with.

Other than that he hinted rather heavily that he would like some fried chicken one night for dinner. You humored him and got what you needed to make homemade fried chicken. Once that was done he was pretty happy. He wasn't very picky when it came to what sort of foods you got. He was fine with whatever you got.

When you mentioned what you would probably end up making with it he would just smile and say "Sounds good."

You honestly expected him to be a bit picky when it came to food, so the fact that for the most part he seemed fine with whatever was a pretty big relief. The second the shopping was done you went straight home. The second you got home and got all of the groceries put away you immediately started setting the air mattress up in your room. While you always knew that Scout was going to have to share a room with you he hadn't known that. He seemed to think you would attempt to set it up in your living room, so when you skipped past the living room just to go to your room to set the air mattress up he looked rather surprised.

While you were setting the air mattress up he had asked "We are going to share a room?"

"Well, the air mattress won't fit in the living room," You said. "My house is technically a two-bedroom house, but I sort of made the second room into a storage room. I would have to clean it out first before you could use it as a bedroom."

As you fill the air mattress up with air you can't help but feel a bit of regret that you hadn't made the storage room into a guest bedroom. To be fair you honestly didn't think you would need one anytime soon. You didn't have any family to speak of. Both of your parents had died a few years back, and your grandparents had died when you were a teenager. Neither of your parents had any siblings, so there were no aunts or uncles to speak off. That meant you had no cousins either. So you honestly didn't have any family who could drop by to visit.

The few friends you had all lived in your town, so they had their own homes to return to. You really didn't have a reason to have a guest bedroom. No one would ever stay there. If you ever got married, then the room could be turned into a bedroom for a child if you should ever have one. Considering the fact that you were single, and had been for a good two years now you figured marriage and kids wasn't something that would happen anytime soon.

You could never justify setting up a bedroom that would never be used. Instead, you had taken to just using it as a storage room for stuff you couldn't fit into a closet anywhere. It's not like you ever expected to have a video game character living with you. That's not something you can exactly prepare for. You shake your head to rid yourself of your thoughts. The bed was fully inflated now. All that was left was to toss some blankets, and a few pillows onto it.