Run Rabbit Run- Chapter 14

Otis and I temporarily retreated to his room while the others got the victims ready to take out. I was a little tipsy since I had drank some of Baby's alcohol at her urging but was no where near drunk. The whole house was alit with excitement, even Otis seemed to be enjoying the family's festivities. I had even caught a genuine smile on his face once or twice. It wasn't necessarily uncommon for him to smile, but they were always bitter and mocking. He truly did love his family, most of them would be dead by now if he didn't. Otis had a noticeable soft spot for Baby and Tiny specifically. He had an interest in me but did not fully trust me yet, a fact I was entirely aware of. I didn't trust him not to decide to kill me suddenly either.

     I didn't really care if I died or not, but I had wishes for it should it happen. I want what I did to be known before I die, I want all the people who comforted the newly orphaned girl to cry in outrage when they discover what really happened that night. I want to see their faces when the atrocities I committed sink into their heads, but that's a luxury I wont have most likely. When there is no more air in my lungs I want to be beautiful. My body should be a masterpiece made by the most devoted artist, I had once asked Otis to use the canvas of my corpse when I assumed he would kill me without a second thought. He hadn't responded back then, but perhaps he would give in to my request should he kill me.

     I had not known them long but a slight ache appeared in my chest at the thought of not being around the firefly family. I slowly was beginning to realize that I did care about if I died or not, I wanted to stay here with them. "What are you thinking about over there mama," Otis's thick accent was clear in his words.

     I looked over at him and smiled, "Just how happy I am with all of this. With you." I walked over towards him and his hand clutched my waist, his thumb rubbing small circles onto the skin. His calloused skin causing the action to burn after a moment. He raised a eyebrow at me.

     "Is that so?" He seemed disbelieving of this for some reason.

     I furrowed my own eye brows at him, "Of course, I'm not alone anymore. Instead I'm with people like me....instead I'm with you. Its all I ever wanted." I was being genuine. I had never felt a sense of belonging no matter where I went, until now that is. I understood his hesitation to believe me, considering he probably felt similarly all his life.

     "Why do you do it?" When I only stared at Otis confused he elaborated, "why do you kill people?" He asked again.

     I was still perplexed at his question but I indulged him nonetheless, "Because I want to. I want to feel the life leave their bodies and their blood soak my skin. Most of all I want them to know how powerless they are compared to me, that they were an idiot that I played with so easily. Seeing the look on their face is exhilarating, my parents were the first to show me that but not the last," I shrugged lazily ,"I suppose killing is an addiction like any other"

     As I talked I had moved to be impossibly close to him, a piece of paper couldn't fit between us and I could feel every breath he took. I reached my hand up and brushed against his face, his long fingers coming up to wrap around my wrist. "Otis, what are we?" I found a sudden boost of confidence, or foolishness, to speak as I felt lost in his red eyes.

     "You're mine." The reply was so simple that I almost smiled.

     Our lips now brushed against each other, "But are you mine?" I could feel him stop breathing for a moment when I spoke.

     I recieved no verbal response, instead his lips met mine in an almost gentle kiss- as gentle as he can be anyway. It didnt last long and soon his hand was gripping my hair as our teeth clashed. I knew it was the closest to a yes that I was going to get, but it was enough for me. His other hand gripped my waist and I felt my back meet the wall. I gripped his shoulders and gasped when my feet no longer touched the ground, instead my legs wrapped around his hips and his hand left my waist to support my ass.