Chapter Seventeen

If someone would have told Vanessa, even four months ago, that she was going to see Hamilton for the second time voluntarily and follow it up with a date with Lin, someone who she never planned on even talking to again, she would have laughed in their face. Moreover, she was shocked with how much she was enjoying herself.

The first time she saw Hamilton, it was filled with anxiety and heartbreak. She had been so consumed at seeing Lin for the first time in over a decade, knowing the secret she was carrying was in the form of her daughter sitting next to her, she hardly paid attention to the actual show. This time, however, she could see why it had encaptivated her daughter so much over the past few months and held the ticket sales it had. It was creative, thoughtful, and groundbreaking. And it all came from the mind of Lin, which made it that much more enjoyable for Vanessa to watch.

After the show ended, Vanessa went backstage to find Lin and see some of his fellow cast members. There were a few familiar faces that she recognized from their first time dating. When Chris Jackson poked at Lin if he was truly ready this time to take her out for ice cream, a nod to their first ever date, the light blush on Lin's face only made Vanessa fall harder.

The co-parents left the theatre around 11, opting to walk to a nearby ice cream parlor. After a quick text to check in with Lia, she slipped her phone in her coat pocket and Lin's fingers intertwined with her own.

"I still can't believe you do that nearly every night," Vanessa stated, "It must be such a high."

"Nothing like it," Lin replied, "At this point, it's almost like an outer body experience. The hours just fly by."

"Well, this was exactly the night that I needed," Vanessa smiled up at him, "Thanks for taking me along."

"I had to get the review of New York's most honest critic who hates musicals,"

"I don't hate musicals," The side look Lin gave her was enough to make both of them get into a laughing fit, "Okay, I mostly do. But, that gives me even more clout when I say how much I loved Hamilton,"

Lin didn't think any other opinion could top that one, "Well, since it was my idea to make you suffer through my musical twice, I think you deserve a prize," They stopped in front of the ice cream parlor. The cold New York air encompassed them, but neither felt it when their eyes met. Lin leaned towards Vanessa and the two softly kissed, feeling as though they were in their own bubble.

"So, is this better than a Tony?" Vanessa asked softly when they pulled away, feeling breathless.
Lin lightly chuckled, choosing to kiss her again rather than answer her question, which Vanessa wouldn't complain about.

The two made their way into the ice cream parlor, hand in hand. The young girl working at the counter gasped when she saw Lin enter. Lin indulged the young employee with small talk as they sifted through the menu. Vanessa, although she wasn't used to this part of Lin's life yet, she felt this immense sensation of pride watching how strangers off the street admired him. It brought her back to the nights when they were young and would talk about their future and dreams they shared. Lin was living out his.

They both left with their ice cream cones in hand, Vanessa chose chocolate chip while Lin opted for strawberry. The tip that Lin had left, along with the autograph on a napkin, was sure to make the employee's week. They got into a cab back towards Vanessa's apartment. Throughout the ride, there were stolen bites of each other's ice cream cones, giggles, and sticky kisses, acting as though they were at least a decade younger. The grumblings from the driver when Vanessa's ice cream cone landed straight on the back seat while they were making out, only made Lin and Vanessa laugh harder as they tried to find napkins to clean the mess up.