Always Helping

Avengers have fought him multiple times to try to find out his identity - Go back to 'Spideys Secrets' for reference as to why.

*****

Peter should have known better. He should have refrained from acting on itching need to help. He really should have. He knew this, Karen knew this- for god's sake- anyone with common sense and two working brains would know it. So why did he find himself banging his head on the wall, fighting the urge to go over to Iron Man and comfort him? Take the bottle he had clasped tightly between his fingers away and talk some sense into him. Help him get away from the ledge he had his legs dangling from so carelessly.

Sighing, Peter ran his hands over his face, mask securely covering it from the outside world, and spin to make his way over. He hesitated a couple of times, groaning at the uncertainty of the situation. For all he knew, this could have been a trap. His Spidey-senses hadn't alerted him of anything but then again Iron Man had been the hardest Avenger for the to accumulate to. Especially with his secret double life.

"This isn't a good look on you Stark," Peter said once he had swung over. He made sure to keep his eyes peaked for any incoming possible attacks from others but relaxed a little when he realized how Iron Man was actually drunk. His stuttering told him so, the way his head lolled from side to sides slightly with uneasiness, faceplate gone, revealing his red-tinted cheeks.

"Y'ah, well. St'p loo'ing th'n."

His words were slurred, barely making sense in their whispered state. Peter ignored his classic retort and smiled fondly. Even in his drunken haze he never failed to have a flashy comeback at stead, ready to fire away no matter how out of it he was. It made Peter wonder if he had some sort of word bank in his mind that he subconsciously always looked through to use whenever needed, causing a slight chuckle to escape the boy's mouth.

"Your drunk." Peter paused, taking the bottle from Stark who made a noise of displeasure, before becoming more serious and analyzing the situation. Two bottles, both Scotch. One empty, another half full and probably another one discarded somewhere close by. "What happened?"

Stark sighed, slowly easing out of his stupor when his features slowly became drowned in stress. "F'rys mad." Peter couldn't help but feel responsible. Of course. Directer Fury would have scolded the Avengers for failing to collect Spiderman and his identity- or well, Peter. The pressure they must be under cant be anything but suffocating, especially on Tony. He already had so much on his plate, from the Accords to Shield, and then on top of that, keeping the team a team and his company running... even if that was mostly Pepper. It was something they had discussed a multitude of times in similar situations, Peter had thought he had managed to wean Tony out of his harmful coping mechanisms but it seemed the burden of it all had become too much. It was at times like these that Peter wished Tony would just open up, remove the fake stoic facade he presented to everyone and finally tell them what was really going on deep inside his mind.

"Common Stark. How about we get Friday to call someone for you. How does that sound?" Peter really wished he could help more, give some helpful advice, even offer his identity up, if only to soothe one of his mentor's problems, but as Spiderman, he had to take precautions.

"You're a go'd m'n Sp'dey." Tony slurred. "W' d'nt want to h'rt ya." Peters's heart melted at that. It was comforting knowing that they weren't doing this for their own reasons but instead acting on direct orders from Fury. It made the stinging he had been feeling from the 'betrayal' less potent and more bearable. It still sucked that they were after him, but at least it was because they didn't have a choice.

"How about you just focus on sobering up yeah? Friday, could you call someone to come get him?"

"I am afraid I have direct orders from Mister Stark to not call anyone."

Damn.

Guess he had to deliver the iron clad soldier himself.

"'M t'red"

"Come on Tin Can. Wakey Wakey, you need to get back before anyone finds you here like this." Peter says, trying desperately to convince the drunk Iron Man. It didn't work, the man himself giggling before reaching to grab the bottle in Spiderman's hand and moping sadly when failing.

"D'nt w'nt t'"

Preparing himself for one of their long late-night talks, Peter sits himself down beside Iron Man, keeping an eye strictly open to make sure his drunkness didn't cause him to spontaneously jump off the building. "Why not?"

"Fr'? 'xpla'ne"

Not a second later the AI starts embarks on a long description of how Stark had had a big fight with Fury explaining how Spiderman had never done anything wrong and they were pursuing the wrong person, continuing to say how the Avengers still wanted him on the team even without his identity known and how Spidermans reasons were justified. It made Peters's heart ache hopelessly but the reality of the situation was that he really couldn't afford to have S.H.I.E.L.D know his identity and now with him having an internship at the Avengers Tower and hanging out with them all without their knowledge, his anxiety about the situation had skyrocketed.

"I understand this isn't your fault and your just following orders okay? It doesn't exactly make the injuries any better but atleast I know it isnt out of hate... so how about you go home? Huh?" Peter asks his spiderman eyes squinting with fondness only to get denied by Tonys grunts of an answer for no.

It took approximately 30 minutes to come up with a plan, half of that time including Peter pleading with Friday to call someone, and the rest of him asking for advice from Karen. The AI being as snarky as usual gave him a few quips about how it was gonna be extremely hard for him to carry Stark in his heavy suit, leading Peter to know exactly what to do.

"Friday? Can you send the suit back to the tower without Mr. Stark controlling it?"

"Of course Spiderman, I am a highly capable AI!" She retorts back, earning a small chuckle from Peter at the resemblance in attitude Friday and Karen shared. Stark just mumbled something lazily under his breath along the lines of 'that's my baby girl' before falling into a drunken state of sleep.

When the Avengers heard from Friday that Tony was back they were rather surprised when he was in his Iron Man suit drunker than anything. When the suit let him out he had wobbled his way to the couch, giggling cheekily every time he nearly fell before sitting himself down and immediately falling asleep. Nat had asked Friday what happened and she had played the footage, making the Avengers once again curse at how gentle Spiderman had been, worrying over Tony who had repeatedly hurt him without a warning or an explanation. After watching the scene a couple of times to marvel at how easily Spiderman had turned Tony from an angry drunk to a sleepy calm one they decided to disperse and be alone to think...

*****

Randomly wrote this one shot in the middle of the night. It was actually supposed to be part of my Spiderman story but might as well add it in here.

Feel free to leave suggestions

:)