Arlo is confused, but less so when Rosalie swans into the house with a bag of supplies. She kneels beside her brother and hands him a few dressings and things as Arlo anxiously watches. "What's happening." He demands. "Bella said the venom is excruciating, why isn't she awake screaming yelling, anything?"

"Her body is too weak. The venom affects humans that way, but Leah isn't human." Rosalie says, glancing at the boy. "Her system is shutting down, it doesn't know how to cope. She is probably in agony but she can't express that."

Arlo's heart literally clenches at that. Edward growls lowly at his sister. "Really Rose?" He mutters. He finishes bandaging Leahs arm. "Leah, I'm going to give you some morphine okay?" He says.

She doesn't respond. Arlo grows queasy as Rosalie pulls a needle out. "Arlo, why don't you go get some ice? Lots of ice, and a cloth." Edward suggests.

Arlo quickly nods and sets Leahs hand down gently, dipping out of the room quickly. He grabs some cloths and ice, heading back in; he's relieved to see the needle is gone, covered by the tape holding it into Leahs hand. "What should I do with this?"

"Make me a few ice packs." Edward says, moving a pillow under Leahs head.

Arlo throws some ice into a cloth and wraps it up, doing the same with another. Edward places one on her neck and one on her forehead, feeling her skin. "She's going to melt it quickly, Rose is going to go get some more ice. We need to keep an eye on her, we have to let the venom burn itself out of her system."

Arlo shakily nods, standing against the back wall as he watches Edward and Rosalie do their thing. Rose disappears as Edward keeps checking Leah's temperature. "It's very hard to tell if she's burning up." Edward mutters.

"She runs about 108." Arlo says quietly, sliding down the wall as he bites his nails.

"Thanks." Edward nods. "She's definitely burning up. Can I move her to-"

"I'll move her." Arlo shakes his head instantly and stands, going over. Edward is skeptical but won't push, so he moves aside and watches Arlo struggle to lift the girl with his busted arm. He manages and holds her close, carrying her upstairs carefully. Edward pulls the covers back and Arlo sets her down. "I got you." He whispers and kisses her head.

Edward smiles small. "All we do now is wait."

"I want your dad to check her over too." Arlo says, sitting on the edge of the bed with his head in his hand.

"As you wish... But I do have a doctorate in medicine. As does Rosalie." Edward says.

"Yeah good for you." He mutters. "How old are you anyway? And your dad?"

"I'm 110." Edward says. "Carlisle is nearing 350 these days."

"The others?"

"In the hundreds, Jasper's in the 160s. He's a bit older than us but younger than Carlisle." Edward watches Arlo's back. "I truly am sorry you got mixed in all of this."

"Course." He mutters, laughing coldly. "It wasn't exactly how I intended life here to go but it got Leah to open up to me. So I suppose thanks for that."

Edward smiles small. "Were all messed up, huh."

"Perfectly so." Arlo looks at Leah and strokes her hair back.

-

Carlisle leaves Arlo's room and comes into the kitchen, Arlo jumping off the kitchen counter instantly. It's late, about 1am. "I've given her some more morphine but I think she's gonna be okay." He smiles softly. "She's probably just going to sleep a lot as her body burns the venom off."

Arlo exhales slowly. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

"Is there anything else I can do for you before I go?" Carlisle asks.

Arlo looks around for a moment before he holds his cast covered hand up. "Get rid of this."

"Arlo, it's only been a few weeks." Edward shakes his head.

"So? How can I take care of Leah one handed? It doesn't hurt, bones are all in line, I'll take it easy. But I want it off so either yous help or I sit with a kitchen knife and saw it-"

"Okay okay." Carlisle shakes his head and holds his hand out. Arlo sets his cast arm in it, watching. Carlisle pinches the top part and easily tears the pink material, pushing his finger down the split and easily separates it. He uses both hands to pull the cast fully off and throws it on the side, pushing on the area gently. "Does it hurt?"

"Yeah, your poking me." Arlo rolls his eyes, smirking.

Carlisle chuckles as Edward scoffs at his rudeness. "Glad one of the Swan kids got humour."

"Bella is boring as fock ain't she." Arlo grins.

"Hey!" Edward snaps.

Carlisle tuts. "No that isn't what I meant. Bella just feels the weight of the world, she could use some of your attitude."

"S'alrigh doc, I know what you mean." Arlo winks.

Carlisle coughs a laugh and clears his throat, putting a serious face on as he sees how annoyed his son is. "Be careful. Any pain or discomfort, feel free to come by." He says, heading out.

Edward watches Arlo for a moment. "I'm going to get your sister then I'll be back."

"Don't rush, I won't miss ya." Arlo salutes, heading upstairs. He locks his bedroom door and looks at Leah in the dim light from the lamp, taking a deep breath as he let's his exterior drop. He was real scared before... He's never felt fear or anguish like it. What would he have done if that was it? If after only a handful of short months he'd lost her? His one chance at feeling normal.

It's odd, isn't it? How a shapeshifter can make him feel normal. But she does. She makes him get butterflies for good reasons rather than the bad. Once he's sure Edward is gone, Arlo falls to his knees and cries, putting his head in his hands as he sobs. He throws his head back and let's out an almighty scream of anguish, taking a few deep breaths after.

Leah doesn't stir, thank god. Arlo composes himself and climbs into the bed laying beside her. He watches her for hours, unable to sleep knowing how close he came to losing her. He never ever wants to feel that again.