How To Survive A Zombie Apocolypse- Two

RUN, RUN FAST.

A/N This story might not be popular but I’m enjoying writing it so… Anyway, on with the chapter.

All the roads that led out of the city were packed with cars as far as I could see, none were moving, the only thing that broke up the long lines of cars were occasional tall pillars of black smoke. Huge swarming masses of zombies consumed the cars, making their way along the lines. It was so much like a buffet I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I chose neither and focused on the streets surrounding me. There were a few humans still running around, screaming, making so much noise that they were attracting more zombies to them.

I saw my way out, a tiny track that led out into the dessert, there were no cars on it, I wasn’t surprised, it didn’t seem to lead anywhere. I figured I was better off facing an endless desert than these monsters. I’d need a car though, a strong, kickass car that could forge a path through the zombie filled city. Though there weren’t actually many zombies in the city anymore, not compared to the thousands of them eating their way along the highways. I was glad my mum had taught me how to drive in a shut down ASDA car park a few months back. She said it was a life skill I might need someday before I was old enough. I’m pretty sure she meant if I ever had to drive someone to a hospital or something. Not to escape zombies. Well, I was still thankful.  

There were no monster trucks in the scrap yard, which I found extremely disappointing. Seen as Las Vegas is a big ass city with massive casinos and buildings I could only see the more residential parts on the outskirts, many of the houses looked empty, the cars gone, but a few streets away I spotted the back end of a Jeep. It was my best chance of getting out so I made a split second decision. I’ve made a lot of those since then, some ending well and some ending not so well. I scrambled back down to the floor and entered the scrap yard office, hoping to find a gun of some kind.

Thank fuck for American’s and their protectiveness of property. There was a shot gun, double barrel and a box of bullets. I thought about dumping the crowbar but decided against it, if at any point I was unfortunate enough to be up close and personal with a cannibal freak I would be thankful for that crowbar. I made sure it was fastened on tight before climbing back up onto the shack. I’d never shot a gun in my life and I did not like the way it made my arm shake, and the loud bang. Thankfully they were packed in tight together and I didn’t really need great aim.

The gun shots were drawing more attention to me though so I hurried the hell up, ignoring the aching pain that ran up my right arm every time I pulled the trigger. When most of them were dead and I decided I didn’t want to run the risk of attracting any more of them I climbed down of the roof and tied my tramp scarf around my face, things were about to get messy.

Walking up to the gate was one of the most terrifying times of my life. All the zombies that were left started rattling the gate with a new found madness, their eyes were wide and blood shot. They looked insane and hungry. I was just out of arms reach from the zombies, I took one last shuddering breath and swung the crowbar at the padlock, it split and the heavy chain crashed down to the floor. The three remaining zombies stumbled towards me and I couldn’t help backing up. NO, I thought, if I’m going to die I’m taking these bitches with me. I narrowed my eyes, clenched my jaw and ran at them. No fear, well, a lot of fear but even more anger. 

Skulls aren’t as hard as I thought they would be. They smash with just one good hit with a crow bar. I stood surrounded by carnage. I let my eyes fall closed for a second before starting the rest of my life. I ran out into the street and quickly glanced around me. I was alone. I didn’t stop, I just ran, when I heard the unmistakable growl of a zombie behind me, I didn’t stop to kill it, I just ran. All lessons have to be learnt quick, well now they do. There will be no second chance, no do over. And what I had learnt was that one zombie howl could attract more of them. At least it was a theory I had and now was not the time to test it. Better to be safe than sorry, another lesson that had to be learnt quickly.

A hoard of the living dead blocked my way not ten feet from the big car I was going for. I growled in frustration and darted into a cut through. There were tall wooden fences on either side of me, behind them were the back yards of the houses out front. I jumped up and grabbed the top of the fence and pulled myself up. I felt one of them make a desperate grab for my ankle but managed to shake it off. I didn’t look back at them but from the noise I’d guess there were maybe twenty five to thirty zombies on the other side of the fence. They had the taste of blood on their tongues and they could smell me. They were now all for the hunt. That’s when a zombie is at its most deadly. Normally, they are quite harmless in a way but as soon as they smell fresh meat they begin to get quicker, more riled up. Like a lion in the dessert. A polar bear on the ice. They look harmless till the hunt begins.

They started to push on the fence and I knew it wouldn’t last much longer. I set off, the car was parked outside the fifth house along and as I went, I counted. One, Two, Three, Four.. I was there. My feet landed with a thud, my breath was coming in harsh gasps. To make matters worse I could see through the windows to the front street. The car wasn’t far away but there were still five zombies in my way, thankfully they were pretty oblivious to me and the noise the pack of zombies were making two houses across from me. I took out my gun, unsure of what I would find in the house.

The back door was open and I walked into the kitchen carefully, locking the door behind me. I decided the house was empty, the front door was open. There was a photograph of a man and woman hanging next to the door, I looked to the zombies outside, ah, I’d found the owners of the house. To look on the Brightside, they wouldn’t be needing the car. It was quite lucky I’d had to go through the house because there, waiting on a hook by the door, was a set of car keys that matched the beast of a car outside. 4X4 drive was imprinted on the key, finally, some good news, I thought just as I heard glass smash from the kitchen. I ran from the house and fumbled with the lock until it clicked. I heard the zombies begin to bang and turned round, breathing a sigh of relief. That was until I saw the five zombies that had been surrounding the car ambling towards me. I lifted the gun and aimed the way I’d seen in the movies. Breathe in, breathe out, pull trigger. To my surprise it actually worked and within moments I had a clear path to the car. I jumped in the car and locked the doors I turned the key and was out of there, trying to remember my way to that tiny track. Of course nothing’s ever that simple though.

A/N Well, what do you think? I enjoy writing about zombies far too much. Can’t wait for Miss Badass here to really get into it. See how I avoided telling you my plot?? Xp