Chapter 7: Choices

Ferb, Gretchen, and their allies moved through the streets of Danville, surrounding the purple building Phineas and Isabella were inside. By now, everyone's mech had been destroyed, and there was nothing but fallen robots and rubble on the streets. Gretchen took a seat on a nearby bench, accompanied by Ferb. She sighed to herself.

"I hope Phineas and Isabella are okay up there. We're all counting on them. I just hope we can support them for long enough."

Gretchen's worries were largely due to her being abruptly left in charge of the team alongside Ferb. Despite being Isabella's second-in-command, she wasn't exactly ready for this opportunity. They had made it to the building, but not without a cost. Ferb had begun to realize this, putting his hand on her shoulder and smiling. Gretchen looked back at him, smiling in response.

"Thanks Ferb. Let's get everyone mov-"

Gretchen's sentence was interrupted by the ground below the duo rumbling. Nearby, the rest of the gang was panicking, with Buford pulling Baljeet onto his shoulder.

"Buford, why did you-"

"Gotta keep my nerd safe!"

Suddenly, the rumbling stopped. Everyone looked to each other, confused as to what happened. Then, Adyson looked up near the building as she screamed.

"Look!"

The group gazed out at the skyline to see a massive, hulking robot leaning on the side of the purple building. Smashing its fist into a nearby skyscraper, it let out a defiant roar.

One hell of a battle was about to begin.

Phineas, clenching Isabella's hand, rushed through a hallway as a pair of Beakbots chased them down. Firing off a baseball at one of them, he dived around a corner into a nearby stairwell, slamming the door and pushing on it to keep their adversaries away. Letting go of Phineas's hand, Isabella secured her baseball launcher, aiming it at the door. When Phineas eventually gave way for the door to crack open, the two robots rushed right into Isabella's shot, slamming into each other and collapsing to the ground. Phineas kicked the rubble before looking up at the stairwell.

"Shame the elevator wasn't working. I really don't like stairs."

"You and me both."

Phineas and Isabella began to ascend the stairwell, holding their weapons tightly and looking around. As they did so, Phineas realized how many stairs there were, as well as how he'd have to figure out a way to kill time as they walked. Then, it dawned on him: he could confess to Isabella now! He could give the two of them the boost they needed to stop whatever was at the top! At the same time though, Phineas knew that he had to focus. If he slipped up, he could get himself and Isabella in trouble. His mind raced back and forth for several minutes until he made a decision.

"Isabella, I-"

"-think we're here?"

Phineas realized that they had reached the top of the stairwell. Mentally cursing himself, he looked towards Isabella.

"...yeah. We're at the top."

Phineas creaked open the door carefully, seeing an empty hallway. Motioning for Isabella to follow, the two of them snuck through carefully, hearing noise from one specific apartment. Phineas attempted to open the door, but it was shut. That is, until Isabella kneeled down by the doorknob and pulled a small file out of her pocket.

"Lockpicking Patch."

"You're prepared for everything, aren't you?"

"A Fireside Girl is always prepared."